Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Spring Cyber Sale
- Sunday School
- Buy in Bulk
Writing needs to be taught just like any other subject. Letting students be "free" to write without a model is often letting them jump in the deep end without learning to swim first!
Writing & Rhetoric assumes students learn best by first reading excellent literature and then imitating those writers. Students who complete the entire program will learn to write narrative, expository, descriptive, and persuasive essays while developing their own unique style. Each exercise is designed to teach a skill that can be employed across all subjects. Skills are arranged from simple to complex, and the cumulative nature of each chapter reviews skills from earlier in the book, helping students to build a solid foundation of writing skills.
Description & Impersonation, the ninth book of twelve (covering 6 years of instruction) in the Writing & Rhetoric series from Classical Academic Press, teaches students how to write well-crafted descriptive and expository compositions. The first part, description, emphasizes the use of vivid language to describe people, nature, and processes. The second part, impersonation, introduces the modes of persuasion as a means of imitating the writing style and outlook of four famous individuals: journalist Nellie Bly, writer Henry Williamson, athlete Jesse Owens, and statesman Winston Churchill. In these compositions, students will be making use of a range of writing skills, including the ability to inform, to describe, to narrate, and to analyze.
Lessons start with the reading selection, and are followed by the student's narration of the story plus a few questions or annotation instructions in the "Tell in Back" portion of the lesson. The "Talk about It" section provides students with questions that require personal application and critical thinking. The "Memoria" portion provides quotes or related poems to memorize and discuss. "Writing Time" exercises often take more than one day to complete and include sentence play, copiousness and essay exercises. "Speak It" sections provide opportunities for students to memorize, recite, discuss, debate, read dramatically, and act. "Revise It" exercises provide opportunities to revise their essays and work on proofreading skills.
Students will learn to:
- Favor vivid words that appeal to the senses in fiction and nonfiction
- Use topic sentences for organizing paragraphs and information
- Appeal to readers through modes of persuasion: emotion (pathos), credibility (ethos), and logic (logos)
- Employ rhetorical devices that show clarity of thought: aetiologia, anthypophora, expeditio, and syllogismus
- Incorporate supportive facts and details
- Annotate and narrate texts with a variety of strategies: oral narration, summary, outline, and modes of persuasion
- Craft an effective plot using conflict and character
- Build copiousness through sentence variety and rhetorical devices, including alliteration, simile, metaphor, hyperbole, epistrophe, and anaphora
- Work on delivery in public speaking-volume, pacing, and inflection
- Engage in a group discussions that foster critical thinking
- Improve essays using oration as an aid to revision
250 non-reproducible pages, softcover. Consumable workbook. NIV Scripture used. This workbook is part of the Writing & Rhetoric curriculum and is the ninth book in the series; it is designed for grades 7-8 or up. Covers 1 semester.
Number of Pages: 264
Vendor: Classical Academic Press
|Publication Date: 2017|
Series: Writing & Rhetoric
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
We offer thousands of quality curricula, workbooks, and references to meet your homeschooling needs. To assist you in your choices, we have included the following symbol next to those materials that specifically reflect a Christian worldview.
If you have any questions about specific products, our knowledgeable Homeschool Specialists will be glad to help you. Just call us at 1-800-CHRISTIAN.