Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- Grade Level▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Critical, informed reading doesn't come naturally. Read with the Best: British Literature features excerpts from works of great British literature along with engaging activities that integrate critical thinking, reading, vocabulary, literary, and writing skills, teaching students to truly think and thoughtfully engage with what they're reading.
This curriculum focuses on the literary analysis and critical reading skills found on the SAT, ACT, AP Literature exams, and in college level classes. Instruction on SAT/ACT vocabulary words and on the five-paragraph essay is integrated throughout as test preparation. Authors covered include Thomas Malory, Edmund Spenser, John Donne, Jonathan Swift, Mary Shelley, Lord Byron, Oscar Wilde, Yeats, C.S. Lewis, and others.
Each week's lessons include five to six different areas:
- "Background Checks" about the author
- "Words to Know" that need to be defined
- "Literary Analysis" that covers literary terms that are tested every 6 weeks
- "Critical Reading" sections includes questions about each passage
- "Make it Real" applies learned skills to what students already know
- "Culminating Activities" that are given at the end of the week to help students master lessons.
- "Writing Assignments" that are given every two weeks and related to literary passages and authors; a research paper is given for the last half of the year.
231 pages, softcover. Grades 8-12. This course covers 34 weeks, with weeks 35 and 36 open for review and testing.
List of Required Materials that will need to be obtained independently:
- The Norton Anthology of English Literature-The Major Authors-8th Edition (Single Vol. Hardcover- 9780393928280, Single Vol.Paperback: 9780393928297, 2 Vol. Paperback-9780393928327)
- Write with the Best, Vol. 2
- The New American Heritage Dictionary and Thesaurus or Merriam-Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Writing a Research Paper-A Step-by-Step Approach, Newest Edition from Sadlier-Oxford Publishing
- Writing a Research Paper Teacher's Edition from Sadlier-Oxford Publishing
- Macbeth-No Fear Shakespeare by Spark Publishing
- Frankenstein by Shelley (Kaplan Publishing "SAT Score-Raising Classic" edition recommended)
- The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis
- Two novels of choice from the book list in appendix.
Vendor: Diagnostic Prescriptive
Publication Date: 2015
Learning Language Arts Through Literature: The Gold Book British Literature, Third EditionGreg Strayer Ph.D., Timothy Nichols Ph.D.Common Sense Press / 2013 / Trade Paperback$20.89 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 4 Reviews
$27.00Save 23% ($6.11)
A British Poetry Anthology for Learning Language Arts Through Literature: The Gold Book British LiteratureCommon Sense Press / 2012 / Trade Paperback$6.89 Retail:
$8.00Save 14% ($1.11)
Abeka English LiteratureAbeka / Trade Paperback$40.45
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
We offer thousands of quality curricula, workbooks, and references to meet your homeschooling needs. To assist you in your choices, we have included the following symbol next to those materials that specifically reflect a Christian worldview.
If you have any questions about specific products, our knowledgeable Homeschool Specialists will be glad to help you. Just call us at 1-800-CHRISTIAN.