- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Paraclete Press
Publication Date: 2010
Series: Paraclete Essentials
Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove is a leader of the new monastic movement and co-founded the Rutba House community in Durham, North Carolina. An associate minister at St. John's Baptist Church in Durham, he also directs the School for Conversion, a partnership among new monastic communities for alternative theological education. His other books include Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers, New Monasticism, and Gods Economy.
Foreword by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove▼▲
In the fourth century, thousands of men and women fled into the Egyptian desert seeking to recapture the passion of the earliest Christians through lives of prayer and solitude.
As records of the wisdom and purity of these "Desert Fathers and Mothers" spread through the Roman Empire, Christians streamed to their caves seeking counsel on the interior life. The hermits ascetic practices and sagacious words were a shining witness to a living faith that could be woven into the fabric of daily life-offering timeless wisdom for Christians of any era.
This volume contains Athanasius' famous The Life of St. Anthony, St. Jerome's The Life of Paul the Hermit, and the collected sayings of many of the desert fathers and mothers. Encouraging humility, patience, prayer, introspection, and love, they teach that contemplative practice opens the door to eternal wisdom for daily life.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Catholic >> Church History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Catholic >> Spirituality
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Church History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Spirituality
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church History >> Catholic
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Catholic
- Download >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Church History