Add To Cart
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Vendor: Vanita Books
Publication Date: 2012
|Dimensions: 10.97 X 8.54 X 0.52 (inches)|
The story is based on the actual experiences of Moses, an eight year-old boy and resident of St. Helene's orphanage outside Port-au-Prince. As an infant, he was lit- erally plucked from the waters of a nearby river, having been placed in a basket by whom we believe was his grandmother. The rest of his family perished in floods that wiped out their upland village in 2004. He was given his name by the nuns at St. Helene's. The title is Moses' reply to the author when she asked where he is from.
After the earthquake of 2010 destroyed Port-au-Prince and much of the surround- ing area, the orphanage was flooded with a new wave of parentless boys and girls. Moses helped these children adapt to their new lives and in so doing displays a fearless hope and determination that may lead to Haiti's renewal as a self-support- ing nation.
St. Helene's orphanage is run by Father Rick Frechette known globally for his dedication to improving the lives of poor children across Latin America.
Net profits from I Came From the Water will go to support St. Helene's and Father Rick's efforts to help rebuild Haiti by offering a safe place to live and a free education for children like Moses.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Character & Social Skills
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Action/Adventure
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Inspirational
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Inspirational
- Children >> Children's Books >> Character & Social Skills
- Children >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Action/Adventure
- Children >> Children's Books >> Inspirational