The Vicar of Baghdad: Fighting for Peace in the Middle East - eBook
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
* This product is available for purchase only in certain countries.
A firsthand look at the volatile situation in Baghdad from the pastor of the last Episcopal church in Iraq! Leader of a parish that's a refuge for all Christians in the embattled city, White offers a practical, God-centered peace plan to alleviate suffering and plant seeds of hope in people of faith throughout the Middle East.
|Format: DRM Free ePub|
Vendor: Monarch Books
Publication Date: 2011
As the vicar of St. George's Church in Baghdad, the only Episcopalian church in Iraq, Canon Andrew White has worked with those at the highest levels of authority in Iraq, for both Westerners and Iraqis. Now, as political and military solutions continue to fail, Andrew offers a different approach to making peace in the Middle East-speaking as a man of faith to men of faith. In The Vicar of Baghdad he tells the story of his work to create peace through God.
As head of a foundation for relief and peacemaking and vicar of an Anglican church in Baghdad, White has gained the ear of major power brokers, negotiated hostage releases and coordinated interreligious dialogue in the Middle East. Yet his memoir does not fit neatly into the canon of peacemaking literature, in part because he sees no problem with aligning closely with the U.S. military and accepting Pentagon funds for his interfaith peace summits. Peacemaking of the old woolly-liberal kind no longer works, if it ever did, he writes, and criticizes bottom-up approaches to reconciliation as ineffective in the Middle East. White's most controversial claimthat Iraq had weapons of mass destructiongoes unsupported, and some will find his support for the U.S. invasion ironic, inasmuch as it exists alongside interreligious statements that he helped to broker proclaiming a total rejection of all violence. White's stories of finding common ground between enemies and his commitment to finding out how religion can advise, rather than supervise, politics are truly admirable, however, and not lost entirely amid the book's other, more self-serving assertions. (May) Copyright 2009 Reed Business Information.
of customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Page 1 of 1
gbautista72CaliforniaAge: 35-44Gender: female4 Stars Out Of 5A Blessing, An Apostle to the Middle EastJune 4, 2015gbautista72CaliforniaAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 4Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4Very good book. I'm very thankful for Andrew White & his heart for the Middle East. This book testifies to how Andrew has selflessly helped bring together different leaders for LOVE and PEACE. Andrew shares so many stories & his faith in GOD is strong! Many people have been involved & I was glad to read all their names. It's kind of like reading the genealogies in the Bible! I'm thankful to get to, to be able to read & learn about this great work.
BeanieEdmonton, AB, CanadaAge: Over 65Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5March 23, 2012BeanieEdmonton, AB, CanadaAge: Over 65Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Canon Andrew White is a wonderful man of God with an unshakable Christian faith and who dares to believe that bringing enemies together to learn each other's stories, hurts and dreams, can bring about peace in the Middle East. Any solution to peace in that part of the world and in Iraq in particular must deal with religious issues and come about through religious leaders. Respected by Shias and Sunnis alike, as well as Jews, other Christians, Iraqi military forces and also the US military, Andrew is well equipped to lead in this. A wonderful book; I look forward to reading others by him!
Page 1 of 1
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Missions >> Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Church & Pastoral >> Missions
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Biography >> Autobiography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Biography >> Missionary Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biography >> Autobiography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biography >> Missionary Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Missions >> Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Missions
- Download >> eBooks >> Biography >> Autobiography
- Download >> eBooks >> Biography >> Missionary Biography
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction