- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: 2015
We fell in love with Jesus. Then we had to decide what to do with God. In Transcending Mysteries: Who Is God, and What Does He Want from Us? Andrew Greer and Ginny Owens take readers on a journey to answer the question: is the God of the Old Testament the same God we relate to and worship today?
As the most definitive written revelation of who God is, Scripture has always been vital to the stories of the Christian faith. The Old Testament has proved especially tough for those who have been persuaded by the gracious gospel of Jesus but also desire to surrender to a God they dont fully comprehend. We adore the Son of God, but what about God the Father?
Using Old Testament stories Andrew and Ginny help Christ-followers reconcile a New Testament Redeemer with an Old Testament God and understand what God really wants from His people. They dialog back and forth as they share their own stories of struggle and surrender. Their comments are separated by speaker identifiers that are used throughout.
- Old Testament stories that are completed in Jesus' message
- Dialog between Andrew Greer and Ginny Owens
- Music lyrics from Andrew and Ginny that illustrate biblical truths
- Thought-provoking questions for reflection or study
Floyd JohnsonUpstate NYAge: 55-65Gender: male3 Stars Out Of 5A Scrapbook of CommentsMarch 18, 2015Floyd JohnsonUpstate NYAge: 55-65Gender: maleQuality: 3Value: 3Meets Expectations: 3Transcending Mysteries is a disappointing look at the Old Testament as a precursor to Jesus Christ for the current reader. Though the authors are well-known members of the contemporary music scene, the book never rises to the level of greatness one would hope for. As this reader made his way through the book it felt as if he were making his way through a scrapbook - a scrapbook composed of pieces cut from the Old Testament, a series of journal entries, and lyrics from hits from the contemporary Christian music scene. This scrapbook did not make for easy or helpful reading.
Though the connections seemed limited, I did appreciate the books use of The Voice as its standard, but not only Bible translation. I also appreciated the use of CCM to support the authors written message. I have occasionally used favorite hymns as the foundation for a sermon series. It may not have worked here, but I do appreciate the effort. I also appreciate the use of two voices, one male and one female, to give meaning to the books words.
What could have added to the books value? Let me suggest things:
1. The inclusion of an audio CD including performances of the songs highlighted in the book. I enjoy CCM, but did not know all the songs referenced.
2. Reading much like a journal, I found many of the entries in this scrapbook to be too personal, rather than scholarly. Personal may be important to the author, but not so much to this reader. I would have like to see a greater emphasis on the truth of scripture, as opposed to the truth of scripture to me (i.e. the author). In the same vein, many of the entries are responses to the other writers comments, rather than to the scripture.
Having said this, it is not clear to this reviewer where this book might find a home. It does not seem suitable for use in a college or seminary classroom. It might be of interest to some who are beginning a study of the Old Testament, but I can think of several more helpful introductory Old Testament texts that I might recommend as a better place to begin a study of the OT.
Hence, the bottom line is that I was disappointed, though there may be value to the book for some.
This review is based on a free copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Christian Living >> Discipleship >> Knowing God
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Christian Living >> Spirituality >> Spiritual Growth >> Christian Character & Purpose
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Discipleship >> Knowing God
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Spirituality >> Spiritual Growth
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Discipleship
- Download >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Spirituality