- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Publication Date: 2010
Series: Counterpoints: Bible and Theology
A discussion of various contemporary evangelical views of genocide in the Old Testament. Christians are often shocked to read that Yahweh, the God of the Israelites, commanded the total destructionall men, women, and childrenof the ethnic group know as the Canaanites. This seems to contradict Jesus command in the New Testament to love your enemies and do good to all people. How can Yahweh be the same God as the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ? What does genocide in the Bible have to do with the politics of the 21st century? This book explores, in typical Counterpoints format, the Old Testament command of God to exterminate the Canaanite population and what that implies about continuity between the Old and New Testaments. The four points of view presented on the continuity of the Testaments are: Strong Discontinuity C . S. Cowles Moderate Discontinuity Eugene H. Merrill piritual Continuity Tremper Longman III Eschatological Continuity Daniel L. Gard The Counterpoints series provides a forum for comparison and critique of different views on issues important to Christians. Counterpoints books address two categories: Church Life and Bible and Theology. Complete your library with other books in the Counterpoints series.
Tremper Longman III (PhD, Yale University) is the Robert H. Gundry Professor of Biblical Studies and the chair of the Religious Studies department at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California, where he lives with his wife, Alice. He is the Old Testament editor for the revised Expositor's Bible Commentary and general editor for the Story of God Bible Commentary Old Testament and has authored many articles and books on the Psalms and other Old Testament books.
Stanley N. Gundry is executive vice president and editor-in-chief for the Zondervan Corporation. He has been an influential figure in the Evangelical Theological Society, serving as president of ETS and on its executive committee, and is adjunct professor of Historical Theology at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. He is the author of seven books and has written many articles appearing in popular and academic periodicals.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Biblical Theology >> Old Testament Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Ethics >> Biblical Ethics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Ethics >> Theological Ethics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Ethics >> War
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Topics of Debate
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biblical Studies >> Biblical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Biblical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Ethics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Topics of Debate