Add To Cart
- All Products
- Last Minute Christmas
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
- Buy in Bulk
- Media Type▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Please be advised: Language may be too mature for younger readers.
Vendor: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date: 1983
Dimensions: 8 1/2 X 6 3/4 (inches)
Although he faces responsibility bravely, thirteen-year-old Matt is more than a little apprehensive when his father leaves him alone to guard their new cabin in the wilderness. When a renegade white stranger steals his gun, Matt realizes he has no way to shoot game or to protect himself. When Matt meets Attean, a boy in the Beaver clan, he begins to better understand their way of life and their growing problem in adapting to the white man and the changing frontier.
Elizabeth George Speare’s Newbery Honor-winning survival story is filled with wonderful detail about living in the wilderness and the relationships that formed between settlers and natives in the 1700s. Now with an introduction by Joseph Bruchac.
Brianna5 Stars Out Of 5April 4, 2010BriannaWhen I was younger (around 11) this book didn't interest me at all. One rainy day,when I was about 14,I read it again(all in one sitting!). The story about survival ties in to Christian life well. Matt, must learn to make wise choices and be considerate of others were he is. I smiled watching Matt's eyes open to racial discrimination while teaching an American Indian English. He'd found the book they were reading from spook of slavery and prejudice.I recomend this book,the charector development is fantastic.And if you need a rainy day read, it's perfect.
Theresa5 Stars Out Of 5July 29, 2009TheresaExcellent choice for 8-10 year-olds. I use this book with my 5th grade class.The quality of writing surpasses the average children's book. The Newberry medal is well-deserved.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Action/Adventure
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Classics >> Classic Fiction
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Student & Teens
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature >> Children's Classics
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature >> Classics
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Action/Adventure
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Classics >> Classic Fiction