- All Products
- Books & Classic Literature× (7,707)
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- US States▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: HarperPerennial Classics
Publication Date: 2012
The Roots of the Mountains: Wherein is Told Somewhat of the Lives of the Men of Burgdale, Their Friends, Their Neighbors, Their Foemen, and Their Fellows in Arms tells the story of the Dalemen, whose lives are disrupted by the Wolfings, and the invading Huns who follow them. Peaceful artisans, the Dalemen live in the Burgdales, a fictitious group of Germanic settlements at the foot of a mountain range. Credited with being an influence on J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, The Roots of the Mountains was written by pioneering fantasy writer William Morris in 1890. Its contribution to fantasy literature was recognized by the Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy Library in 1979.
HarperPerennial Classics brings great works of literature to life in digital format, upholding the highest standards in ebook production and celebrating reading in all its forms. Look for more titles in the HarperPerennial Classics collection to build your digital library.
William Morris (1834-1896) was an accomplished writer, textile designer and artist. A utopian socialist, he was associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and the English Arts and Craft Movement, and was a founding member of the Socialist League in Britain. Greatly influenced by the medieval period, Morris helped establish the modern fantasy genre though his works The Defence of Guenevere and Other Poems, A Dream of John Ball, and The Well at the World’s End. Authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were greatly influenced by works like The House of the Wolfings, The Roots of the Mountains, and The Wood Beyond the World. Morris was also an accomplished publisher, founding the Kelmscott Press in 1891, whose 1896 edition of the Works of Geoffrey Chaucer is considered a masterpiece of book design.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Fiction >> Classic Fiction
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Fiction >> Literature
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Fiction >> Classic Fiction
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool
- Download >> Homeschool >> Supplemental
- Download >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Fiction >> Classic Fiction
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Supplemental
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Type
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature
- Homeschool >> Type >> Download