Add To Cart
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Student & Teens
- Sunday School
Vendor: Paperstar Book
Publication Date: 1996
|Dimensions: 9.40 X 8.11 X 0.15 (inches)|
As they sail off across the sea, another story unfolds in the water beneath the boat. One by one, exotic sea creatures swim into the picture and small yellow fish seems to be looking for someone.
Jan Brett brings the magic of the Caribbean to her exquisitely detailed illustrations of Edward Lears charming poem.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I remember the special quiet of rainy days when I felt that I could enter the pages of my beautiful picture books. Now I try to recreate that feeling of believing that the imaginary place I'm drawing really exists. The detail in my work helps to convince me, and I hope others as well, that such places might be real."
As a student at the Boston Museum School, she spent hours in the Museum of Fine Arts. "It was overwhelming to see the room-size landscapes and towering stone sculptures, and then moments later to refocus on delicately embroidered kimonos and ancient porcelain," she says. "I'm delighted and surprised when fragments of these beautiful images come back to me in my painting."
Travel is also a constant inspiration. Together with her husband, Joe Hearne, who is a member of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Jan visits many different countries where she researches the architecture and costumes that appear in her work. "From cave paintings to Norwegian sleighs, to Japanese gardens, I study the traditions of the many countries I visit and use them as a starting point for my children's books."
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books >> Children >> Children's Fiction >> Animal Stories
- Books >> Children >> Classics >> Classic Fiction
- Books >> Children >> Humor
- Books >> Children >> Nursery Rhymes/Poetry >> Classics
- Children >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Animal Stories
- Children >> Children's Books >> Classics >> Classic Fiction
- Children >> Children's Books >> Humor
- Children >> Children's Books >> Nursery Rhymes/Poetry >> Classics
- Homeschool >> Books & Classic Literature >> Classics