- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Cyber Deals
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
Love God with a warmed heart. Serve God with active hands.
Lead an abundant life, grow as a faithful disciple, and find new avenues to serve. By studying the Wesley Study Bible you will share God’s grace and find the good gifts God has for you. As God transforms you through study, you will be inspired to transform the world. Contributors from across the Wesleyan family join together to help you experience God in fresh ways.
- NRSV translation
- Comprehensive study notes on NRSV text by over 50 biblical scholars with special references to the writings of John Wesley
- Accessibly written life application and inspiration by over 50 key pastors
- Easy-to-understand explanations of core terms by over 60 Wesley experts, including: eternal life, forgiveness, grace, heaven, holiness, justice, and mission
- Extended reference to works by John Wesley
- 19 full-color maps
- Cross references
- Summary of each biblical book
- Ribbon marker
- 9.75-point font
- 7.5" x 9.5" x 1.25"
- Joel B. Green, Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Fuller Theological Seminary.
- William H. Willimon, Presiding Bishop of the Birmingham Area of The United Methodist Church.
|Format: Imitation Leather|
Number of Pages: 1616
Vendor: Abingdon Press
Publication Date: 2009
Dimensions: 9.5 X 7.5 X 1.5 (inches)
Text Color: Black Letter
|Text Size: 9 Point|
Note Size: 9 Point
Thumb Index: No
Ribbon Marker: Yes
Page Gilding: None
Page Edges: Pattern
Recapturing the Wesleys' Vision: An Introduction to the Faith of John and Charles WesleyPaul Wesley ChilcoteInterVarsity Press / 2004 / Trade Paperback$6.49 Retail:
$17.00Save 62% ($10.51)
As God transforms readers through study, they will be inspired to transform the world. Contributors from across the Wesleyan family join together to help one experience God in fresh ways. The Wesley Study Bible offers easy-to-understand explanations of core terms that cover eternal life, forgiveness, grace, heaven, holiness, justice, and mission. The Bible has extended references to works by John Wesley.
Feeling most at home behind a pulpit, Will Willimons deepest calling is to be a preacher and truth-teller of Jesus Christ. He is Professor of the Practice of Christian Ministry at Duke University Divinity School and retired Bishop of the North Alabama Conference of The United Methodist Church, after serving for 20 years as faculty member and Dean of the Chapel at Duke University. He lives in Durham, North Carolina.
Will Willimon has published many books, including his preaching subscription service on MinistryMatters.com, Pulpit Resource, and Fear of the Other: No Fear in Love, both published by Abingdon Press.
Karen4 Stars Out Of 5When will Abingdon Press Offer an Option?January 11, 2016KarenQuality: 3Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4A more classic cover would be appreciated. I love both CEB covers. This NRSV one came out in 2009 and they still haven't put out a different cover. My pastor loves this Bible but it's the CEB version. I'd like the NRSV version for graduate school but it's hard to think about shelling out $40 for a Bible I don't enjoy looking at.
JonathanAlabamaAge: 18-24Gender: Male4 Stars Out Of 5Great Study Bible In The Wesleyan TraditionFebruary 14, 2013JonathanAlabamaAge: 18-24Gender: MaleQuality: 2Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4Physical Aspects of this Bible:
- I'm not too crazy about the green duo-tone of this Bible, and the cover is not as thick or durable as a genuine leather cover.
- The pages are thin, but the Bible itself is rather thin, so it is not a big deal (most Bibles have ridiculously thin pages now-a-days anyway)
- The print is generous, but if you have vision problems, you may struggle with this Bible. I found the print to be about average size.
- I am happy with the size of the font of the notes, and the amount of notes.
- I love the NRSV translation. I have a B.A. in Biblical studies, and I am 2 semesters from completing my M.A. in the New Testament. After extensive study of the Greek, I find this to be one of the most accurate/scholarly translations available.
- I am not a Methodist/Wesleyan, but I enjoy learning about the Bible from all angles, and the notes in this Bible are contemporary, scholarly, and relevant while adhering to core Wesleyan teachings.
Like always, you can't beat Christianbook's service. If you're going to buy this Bible, buy it from here.
lindaWashington DCAge: 55-65Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5This product has unique features in footnotes.October 11, 2012lindaWashington DCAge: 55-65Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This product has good core teachings from John Wesley plus the version is very readable.
Terry DunnTorontoAge: 55-65Gender: Male4 Stars Out Of 5Written Word testifies to the Living Word!September 26, 2012Terry DunnTorontoAge: 55-65Gender: MaleQuality: 4Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I received my copy of the NRSV Wesley Study Bible last week. Finally a Bible has been published that lifts up Jesus Christ, holy living, and yet factors in moderate Biblical Criticism (analysis).
The NRSV is an accurate translation in the Tyndale-King James Tradition. The Wesley Bible study helps include: Book Introductions; annotations from a Wesleyan perspective; an excellent index on Wesleyan Core Terms (Core Term articles are interspersed throughout the Biblical text); an excellent index on Life Application Topics (Life Application articles are interspersed in the Biblical text).
This Bible has a quality, flexible imitation leather cover and a sewn binding for strength and durability.
All in all this Bible is an excellent resource. The only room for improvement would be to increase the font size of the Biblical text (from 8.5 to 9.0 or 9.5) and to add a concordance which no study Bible should be without. Still, this is a very helpful Bible!
Great News! The Wesley Study Bible will be released with a different Bible Translation this November 2012. The new edition will be the Common English Bible Wesley Study Bible and apparently will contain a concordance. This is wonderful because the Common English Bible is a more readable and yet reasonably accurate translation made by a cross denominational team of Biblical Scholars. It is written in plain adult English and will work well with the Wesley Study Bible!
Wesley looked upon "all the world as my parish". This Bible will help equip believers as they testify Christ to a hurting world.
gospencer3Columbus, MSAge: 45-54Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5Always interested in another view pointSeptember 19, 2012gospencer3Columbus, MSAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I'm an information junkie. I'm not that great with literature symbolism and that sort of thing. I'm always interested in another view on things. I may not agree, but I'm open to what others have to say.
Q: Does the NRSV Wesley Study Bible include a concordance?
No, there is no concordance in this Bible.
Q: Is this Bible as close to the original scripture as possible? I am looking for a good study Bible to send my friend that is as close to the original scripture as possible. He has attended a Wesleyan Church but is unable to at the moment.
The NRSV is a balance between Word For Word and Thought for Thought translations.