What began as a popular 18-booklet Bible study series, The Lutheran Difference
gathers together all the rich content of the series, orders it around the Nicene Creed, and presents it in one accessible volume so readers can access the facts they need.
As Lutherans interact with other Christians, they often find themselves struggling to explain their beliefs and practices. Although many Lutherans have learned the "what" of the doctrines of the Church, they do not always have a full scriptural foundation to share the "why." When confronted with different doctrines or denominations, they sometimes cannot clearly state their faith - much less understand the differences.Because of insecurities about explaining particular doctrines or practices, some Lutherans may avoid opportunities to share what they have learned from Christ and His Word. The Lutheran Difference
identifies how Lutherans differ from other Christians and shows from the Bible why Lutherans differ. Such information will prepare Lutherans to share their faith clearly, and it will help non-Lutherans understand the Lutheran difference.
This book was written entirely for the lay person but may also serve well as a high school or college religion class text. This resource would be handy for anyone looking for an additional resource beyond Luther's Small Catechism
- 500-year anniversary cover art featuring the likenesses of the great Lutheran reformers: Martin Chemnitz, Jacob Andreae, Philip Melanchthon, and of course, Martin Luther
- A preface essay on how American churches are changing or staying the same in the twenty-first century, based on research from the Alban Institute, the Barna Group, and on-site visits to congregations of the eight major denominational families
- Additional content on the mission of God, the fall and original sin, homosexuality and biblical teaching, Luther's theology of the cross, church fellowship, and the kindest way to handle accusations in the church (Matthew 18 explained and applied)
- More than thirty cross-references to the second edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- A fifty-page summary and hope-filled update of Bergendoff's Church of the Lutheran Reformation, tracing Lutheran history from the Reformation to the present
- A subject index allowing speedy access to more than 700 pages of inspiring content and facts
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.