Add To Cart
The Lives of the Desert Fathers
Add To Cart
This product is not available for expedited shipping.
* This product is available for shipment only to the USA.
In the year 394 seven monks from Palestine made a difficult journey through the Egyptian desert, drawn there by stories of remarkable men. What they found in the communities living far up the Nile Valley fully accorded with their expectations, and in the account written by one of their number we have a rare contemporary source of information about the lives of these Desert Fathers. This translation of the Historia monachorum in Aegypto. is the first available in English.
Number of Pages: 181
Dimensions: 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 X 1/2 (inches)
Series: Cistercian Studies
Christ Within Me: Meditations and Prayers from the Anglo-Saxon TraditionBenedicta WardCistercian / 2007 / Trade Paperback$8.96 Retail:
$9.95Save 10% ($0.99)
Eyewitness accounts of the lives and teachings of the fourth-century Desert Fathers from the Historiamonachorum in Aegypto.
Benedicta Ward is Reader in the History of Christian Spirituality in the University of Oxford. Her most recent book is Anselm of Canterbury: His Life and Legacy (SPCK 2009). She is a member of the Anglican monastic community of the Sisters of the Love of God.
. . . may make a good source for the historian; it may give some information and pleasure for the casual reader. But the spiritual man will never forget the people he meets in it.
Coptic Church Review
The work is a gem.
Be the first to write a review!
Find Related Products▼▲
- Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Monasticism
- Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Saints & Notable Figures
- Books >> Catholic >> Church History
- Books >> Catholic >> Religious Communities
- Books >> Church History >> Catholic
- Books >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Monasticism
- Books >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Saints & Notable Figures
- Catholic >> Church History
- Catholic >> Religious Communities