- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Cyber Deals
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
Sharing lessons from the life of Jacob, Roper will help you gain powerful insights into the significance of following God's direction as you navigate through life.
This book can help you develop confidence in knowing God is right there, drawing you closer and transforming you into His image. Discover how you can experience the power and presence of the God who uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Discovery House
Publication Date: 2013
David Roper served as a pastor for many years. Now, he and his wife, Carolyn, offer encouragement and counsel to pastoral couples through Idaho Mountain Ministries. David is author of more than a dozen books, including Every Day Is a New Shade of Blue, A Burden Shared, The God Who Walks Beside Us, and Seeing God, and is a regular and popular writer for Our Daily Bread. Nearly one million of his books are in print.
DRW5 Stars Out Of 5Despite his behavior, Jacob loved God with all his heart and God knew it.March 29, 2015DRWQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5As you read this book Jacob will become like a friend you'll connect with him and possibly like myself stories will come back to you that you learned early on. As you read through from birth to death you learn more about not only Jacob but about God and your relationship with him will change too. We all are familiar with the story of him cheating his brother out of his birthright , but he was also a hustler, shrewd, devious, manipulative and he had his own way of getting things done. Sound familiar some of us are guilty of the same. He was a hard man, but he had one thing that made him different despite his behavior he had a yearning for God with all his heart and God knew it. God is never surprised by us nor alarmed by our struggles and failures along the way. Jacob experienced a lot of sorrow , pain, trouble and many years of fear and loneliness but God was always there. Through it all Jacob still loved God, because of that love he endured discipline. Just like we must endure discipline from God who also loves us.
David Roper tells us through this reading the events that Jacob endured through all kinds of circumstances that can all be quite common to you and I and gives us hope that we are never alone and how God uses such situations to help us grow closer and more intimate to him and remake us in his image. We are not an accident but a divine choice. Temptation and sin show us who we are and we must see this before we can be used. But through it all God promises to never leave us or forsake us.
I was given this book by Discovery House Publishers for an honest review I enjoyed very much hope you enjoy it too.
IreneUnited States5 Stars Out Of 5An Enjoyable BookJanuary 11, 2014IreneUnited StatesQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This book will remind you just how close the Lord is to you every moment of every day. The author, David Roper, is excellent and if you have not read any of his writings this one would be a great one to start with. If you have read him before you already know his writing is practical and easy to understand. This book is no exception and that is why I gave it 5/5 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone needing a refresher on how accessible the Lord is to every Christian.
I would like to thank the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.
AnnetteTexasAge: 45-54Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5Encouraging Words of WisdomFebruary 27, 2013AnnetteTexasAge: 45-54Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This small book is full of wise words. I'll have several favorite quotes to share in this review.
The God Who Walks Beside Us taught me through the story of Jacob in Genesis several points:
1. Jacob was a conniver and manipulator, he was a deceiver. He was a man that tried to control his destiny without the wisdom of God. He floundered, and toiled hard in recourse because of his impatient actions. Yet, God blessed him and God used Jacob despite his flaws. God can use all of us, God can use me---despite my hard-headed, stubborn, and impatient behavior. God can and will use me. God will not use me for a little gold star in my honor, but God will use me for His glory.
2. God is never shocked or surprised by my sin, or failures.
3. Before God can use me for a great purpose, I must "see the monstrous evil in my soul". I must "see" the horror of my sin, and understand that without Him I cannot be cleansed, or free, or truly have life.
4. A "challenging relationship can be my schoolhouse, the means by which I become conformed to His will". The author gave an example of a challenging marriage, but I feel a challenging relationship can also be included. To stay in a challenging marriage is not something many people would do, they would give up and walk away. The author is not talking about an abusive type marriage. He is referring to a taxing or challenging marriage.
5. Holiness is not "done in our own initiative". It is done by "being willing to honor God and let Him work in our life, simply to stand still and let Him be the 'holy one' who will have first place in my life, above all men and all things".
6. Do not wish for or dwell on what "might have been". God is working in my life no matter what is going on, or has happened, or will happen.
7. "Heaven is my real home."
David Roper touched on several things I needed to hear at this time in my life. God is so good, in that He ministers to me and teaches me through books I review.
The God Who Walks Beside Us would be an excellent book to read for anyone going through a difficult time. Maybe a person is discouraged, or saddened by an event, maybe they are wondering what the next course of life will be. It is uplifting, encouraging, comforting.
"This life is a school, a training period where we are being prepared for something that is incredibly great, but is yet to come."
"The only way to grow into Christ's likeness is to submit each day to the conditions that God brings into our lives. It is a matter of laying down our wills and accepting His will as it comes to us in the form of the people with whom we live and work..."
Thank you to Discovery House Publishers for my free review copy.
Find Related Products
- Christian Living >> Spirituality >> Spiritual Direction
- Christian Living >> Spirituality >> Spiritual Growth >> Lessons from Biblical Figures
- Download >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Spirituality
- eBooks >> Christian Living >> Spirituality >> Spiritual Direction
- eBooks >> Christian Living >> Spirituality >> Spiritual Growth