Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Publication Date: 2010
- An outstanding reference work providing the first English language multi-volume account of the key historical, liturgical, doctrinal features of Eastern Orthodoxy, including the Non-Chalcedonian churches
- Explores of the major traditions of Eastern Orthodoxy in detail, including the Armenian, Byzantine, Coptic, Ethiopic, Slavic, Romanian, Syriac churches
- Uniquely comprehensive, it is edited by one of the leading scholars in the field and provides authoritative but accessible articles by a range of top international academics and Orthodox figures
- Spans the period from Late Antiquity to the present, encompassing subjects including history, theology, liturgy, monasticism, sacramentology, canon law, philosophy, folk culture, architecture, archaeology, martyrology, hagiography, all alongside a large and generously detailed prosopography
- Structured alphabetically and topically cross-indexed, with entries ranging from 100 to 6,000 words
"The paperback edition is a valuable and affordable resource, which I recommend as a compendium for historians, religionists, and theologians alike." (Religious Studies Review, 4 June 2015)
"In short, this Encyclopedia, is a useful tool that offers valuable basic information on many aspects of the Orthodox world." (Journal of Eastern Christian Studies, 1 March 2014)
"The encyclopaedia as a whole is a remarkable achievement: not, perhaps, completely reliable, but nothing is. The preface by the editor, Fr John McGuckin, is a masterpiece." (Theology, 1 September 2012)
"His monumental work and Leusteans indispensable reference book provide a wealth of knowledge about global Orthodoxy during historical cycles of growth, repression and renewal." (European History Quarterly, 2012)
"By this token, then, the encyclopaedia is a timely value for money product, for those with deep pockets and deep minds." (Reference Reviews, 2012)
"The stated intention of producing an authoritative, scholarly reference work has been realized in a work that will have the greatest utility for researchers at every level. In 30 years of studying Orthodox Christianity, this reviewer has been no comparable work. Summing Up: Essential. Reference collections supporting lower-level undergraduates through researchers/faculty, and general readers. " (Choice, 1July 2011)
"In the preface editor McGuckin expresses his joy in bringing together this two-volume reference - a resource that breaks ground by making accessible comprehensive coverage of a religion that is rising once again after enduring some of the greatest challenges of its history - the 20th-century repressive regimes of eastern Europe." (Booknews, 1 April 2011).
"The stated intention of producing an authoritative, scholarly reference work has been realized in a work that will have the greatest utility for researchers at every level. In 30 years of studying Orthodox Christianity, this reviewer has seen no comparable work. Summing Up: Essential. Reference collections supporting lower-level undergraduates through researchers/faculty, and general readers"(CHOICE, July 2011)