- All Products
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
The Revelations of Julian of Norwich is the first book written in English by a woman - in this case, by a 14th century recluse who recounts the poignant, subtle, and radical insights granted to her in sixteen visions of the crucified Christ as she lay on what was believed to be her deathbed. Julian's miraculous recovery from that illness then led to twenty more years of reflection and contemplation on those revelations and finally to her writing a detailed account of her mystical experience.
Her work - in the same Middle English as her contemporary Geoffrey Chaucer - is dense, deeply intuitive, and theologically complex. The Complete Julian is the first book to offer a modern translation of all of Julian's writings (including her complete Revelations), a complete analysis of her work, as well as original historical, religious, and personal background material that helps the reader comprehend the depth and profundity of her life and work. Paperback.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Paraclete Press
Publication Date: 2009
sleepingquailConcord, NHAge: 55-65Gender: female4 Stars Out Of 5wonderful translationJune 12, 2012sleepingquailConcord, NHAge: 55-65Gender: femaleQuality: 4Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4The side by side notes are helpful to gain a theological perspective and appreciation for the beauty of the Middle English. The translation retains some of the original words for their unique beauty. This is the most well thought out presentation and translation of Julian I've read.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Spiritual/Mystical Theology >> Mystical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Catholic >> Spirituality
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Catholic >> Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Spirituality
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Spiritual/Mystical Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Catholic
- Download >> eBooks >> Theology >> Spiritual/Mystical Theology