Add To Cart
Add To Cart
The "SpellingYouSee" program from Demme Learning is a unique, research-based homeschool spelling curriculum with seven levels that follow the developmental stages of language development. Relying upon visual memory that's built through repeated reading and repeated writing, students will learn spelling through short daily activities that integrate copywork, reading, speaking, and listening, rather than relying on rote memorization for weekly tests.
Spelling You See Level E: American Spirit continues to guide students through the Skill Development stage (see the "Spelling You See Philosophy" link above for an explanation of each stage). Following stages, not grade level, this level is suggested for a student who spells many common words confidently but who may not be ready for the more advanced reading level and content of Ancient Achievements..
When determining placement, ask this question:
- Can my student write complete paragraphs comfortably?
The following passage is taken from the previous level of Spelling You See and is written at the minimum reading level for American Spirit. Can your student read it without difficulty?
As a young man, Johnny Appleseed learned how to grow apple trees. When settlers moved into Ohio and Indiana, he planted orchards for them. He also planted orchards of his own and sold trees. Johnny lived simply. He had no house. He walked from place to place. His clothes were ragged. He is remembered for helping many needy people.
Dictate the passage to your student and then answer the following questions:
- Was my student able to complete the dictation with relative ease?
- Was my student able to complete the dictation in 10 minutes or less?
- Did my student correctly spell at least eight of these words from the dictation passage: young, learned, apple, settlers, planted, simply, house, walked, clothes, people?
- If you answered "Yes" to all these questions, your child is ready to begin American Spirit. American Spirit provides continued practice in the Skill Development level of spelling using the core activities of chunking, copywork, and dictation. Most children require several years of practice at this developmental level.
Thirty-six lessons feature nonfiction stories about American history, providing opportunities for vocabulary development and the mastery of everyday words. Lessons are divided into five parts (A through E); each part includes two daily worksheets. These lessons are split between two student workbooks for ease of use. Three core student activities: chunking, copywork, and dictation, are emphasized; for "chunking," the instructor reads the passage with the student and then helps the student find and mark various letter patterns in the passage.
The instructor's handbook features the philosophy and overview for the program, frequently asked questions, short instructions that cover individual and multiple lessons, and a weekly activity guide. This is followed by passages for dictation. A line-listed, highlighted answer key is also provided.
This Spelling You See Level E Universal Set Includes:
- SpellingYouSee E: American Spirit Workbook Part I: 183 pages, softcover.
- SpellingYouSee E: American Spirit Student Workbook Part II: 183 pages, softcover. Both are consumable, non-reproducible workbooks.
- Instructor Handbook, 56 pages with glossary, softcover. 9.25" x 8".
- One set of Crayola Erasable Colored Pencils (Set of 10)
Word Building PACE SCORE Key 1076-1078, Grade 7 (4th Edition)Accelerated Christian Education / 2015 / Trade Paperback$3.20
Grade 8 Social Studies PACE 1091 (4th Edition)Accelerated Christian Education / 2015 / Trade Paperback$3.50
Word Building PACE SCORE Key 1079-1081, Grade 7 (4th Edition)Accelerated Christian Education / 2015 / Trade Paperback$3.20
Etymology PACE SCORE Key 1100-1102 (4th Edition) Grade 9Accelerated Christian Education / Trade Paperback$3.505 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews