- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: 2008
How well do you really know the Bible? For instance, guess how many doves were aboard Noah's Ark. The answer is not two.
And guess on which day the Bible says Jesus died. Believe it or not, the Good Book doesn't mention Friday, and even more surprisingly, while the Bible says Jesus rose from the grave, it does not say it occurred Sunday morning. Remember, Jesus' followers found an empty tomb then.
But don't feel bad if you've always assumed otherwise. Like countless millions of people, you've just been misinformed, misled or even (dare we say) lied to about what the Bible actually says.
In a stunning investigation, news veteran Joe Kovacs goes on a mission to help both Christians and non-Christians alike find out what the Bible really contains, and what it doesn't.
"Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told" is an educational juggernaut that relies solely on the Holy Bible to reveal hundreds of Scriptural facts that many people of all persuasions simply don't know. The book instantly skyrocketed to the No. 1 position in three Bible-related categories on Amazon.com.
"I'm among the biggest fans of the Bible of all time," says Kovacs. "My goal is to educate people about the solid truth of Scripture and to stop the spread of erroneous information. I want people to crack open their Bibles and see with their own eyes what's actually printed on the pages, and what's not. It's shocking!"
According to Scripture, you won't find "Three Wise Men" mentioned anywhere in the story of Jesus' birth. For that matter, none are said to have shown up at the manger in Bethlehem. The truth straight from your own Bible is that an unspecified number of wise men first met Jesus as a "young child" in a "house," not a babe in a manger, and it might have been more than a year after He was born. Go ahead, look it up for yourself.
Also according to Scripture, you won't find a single mention of Easter eggs, but you will find God warning His people not to have anything to do with a pagan fertility goddess, whose name is synonymous with "Easter."
"Yes, I'm a Bible-believing Christian," says Kovacs. "But I'm not here to convert anyone. People are free to believe whatever they wish and can come to their own conclusions. I just want to show them the biblical record is often very different from what many assume. Not only will Christians love this book, but I think Jews, Muslims and even agnostics and atheists will get a kick out of it as well."
When the veil of presumption is removed and people see the words that are actually on the Bible's pages, readers will discover:
- Jesus said no one has gone to heaven except Himself
- "Christmas" is not mentioned in the Bible
- The practice of decorating a tree with silver and gold is actually condemned by God
- "Easter" has vanished from the Bible
- Jesus made appearances on Earth on the Old Testament
- God sought to kill Moses
- The destiny of human beings is not what you think (it's not to float around on clouds in heaven)
- God ran lotteries
- Jesus did not come to make everyone understand His message
- Noah's Ark is not said to have rested on "Mount Ararat"
- Noah, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were not Jews
- Nagging wives are mentioned in Scripture
- Women's breasts are celebrated in the Bible
- There's a character in the Bible called a "dumb ass"
- Underwear didn't disintegrate despite 40 years of heavy use
- The worst case of hemorrhoids in history is recorded
"If you think you really know the Bible, better think again. Joe Kovacs takes a close look at the greatest story ever told and separates myth from reality. My favorite parts of the book deal with Christmas and Easter. Check out 'Shocked by the Bible.' You may well be shocked."
Bill O'Reilly, anchor, Fox News Channel
SusieAlbertaAge: 35-44Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5for those not afraid of the truthJanuary 23, 2013SusieAlbertaAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Very good read. Many of the things Joe Kovacs writes about in this book are things I have been learning in the last 2 years, but there were some things that were new to me. If we really love the LORD our God as we say we do, why are we so afraid of the truth? Is there any point in sitting in the pews if only half truths are being preached from the pulpit? Should be read by all church leaders. God is so much bigger than that neat little box with the pretty paper that christianity has put Him in. Praise Adonai that there are those that have courage enough to heed the nudging of the Holy Spirit to do the Fathers will.
loves2readTexasAge: 35-44Gender: female4 Stars Out Of 5great easy readJune 27, 2012loves2readTexasAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 4this book takes a look at what is really written in the scriptures without the blinders and filters of man made doctrines and theology. It was an easy read and very enjoyable. I have recommended it to everyone I know.
Linda Brewer5 Stars Out Of 5March 31, 2010Linda BrewerGood information. Begs the question why do not not more follow what the Bible says?
Kim Vazquez4 Stars Out Of 5January 1, 2009Kim VazquezGood reading to challenge your theological views. Although I don't agree with everything in the book, the author does a great job outlining his position.
Marsha White5 Stars Out Of 5December 24, 2008Marsha WhiteI am not too shocked by the information Mr. Kovacs presents because I attend a church that teaches from the Bible. So, most of these things I have learned and the ones I haven't, don't surprise me. If I had read this before I started attending a Bible believing church it would have shocked me a lot. My old church never touched on most of the information. Great book. I recommend it for those people who attend church but have no idea what the Bible says--people who don't know where the stories and information they have heard really originated from.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Bible Reference
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Christian Living >> Discipleship >> Spiritual Disciplines >> Studying the Bible
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Bible Reference
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biblical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Discipleship >> Spiritual Disciplines
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Biblical Studies
- Download >> eBooks >> Bible Reference
- Download >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Discipleship