The God Box: Sharing My Mother's Gift of Faith, Love and Letting Go - eBook
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
* This product is available for purchase worldwide.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Worthy Publishing
Publication Date: 2012
After Mary Lous mother passed away, she went searching for the God Box. But rather than one box, Quinlan found 10 containers stuffed with hundreds of origami-like folded papers. Covering the last 20 years of her mothers life, the notes contained a treasure of brief prayers for family, friends and people she had never even met. Note by note, Quinlan discovered the greatest lesson her mother could impart: the importance of letting go in order to live. Poignantly written and beautifully designed, The God Box is a gift for every parent, every son or daughter, every person who trusts in the permanence of love and the power of prayer.
Mary Lou Quinlan has written inspirational features for national magazines including O, the Oprah Magazine, Real Simple, and More. The nations leading expert on female consumer behavior and founder and CEO of the marketing consultancy Just Ask a Woman, she has conducted in-depth research on womens lives since 1999 for corporations such as Wells Fargo, Pfizer and Kelloggs. Quinlan has appeared on television programs such as CBSs Early Show, Good Morning America and NBCs Today and has been profiled in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. She holds an MBA from Fordham University. Quinlan and her husband, Joe, live in New York City and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with their dog, Rocky.
of customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Page 1 of 1
bookwomanjoanOak Harbor, WAAge: Over 65Gender: Female4 Stars Out Of 5a colorful gift book on prayer notesDecember 8, 2012bookwomanjoanOak Harbor, WAAge: Over 65Gender: FemaleQuality: 4Value: 3Meets Expectations: 4They found it after their mother died. Her God Box. In it she had stowed dozens of handwritten notes to God on behalf of her husband, her son, and daughter.
Mary Lou, by reading the notes, came to understand her mother's unspoken pain, the depth of her devotion to her family, and the breadth of her empathy.
Mary Lou would find ten boxes in all - each one stuffed with notes to God. As she went through the boxes it was like reading a diary of their family life.
Mary Lou's mom was a people person, listening to everyone's stories. Before she started the God Box, her mom would try to make sense of others' pain. "When Mom adopted the God Box, she seemed more at ease giving the problem over to stronger hands. I really believe it gave Mom true contentment and peace of mind," Mary Lou writes. (60)
Interspersed with photos of her mother's prayer notes, Mary Lou reveals the persistent faith of her mother. She kept up the ritual for twenty years. "Mom's faith never flagged. She never stopped hoping for a cure or a miracle." (90) Yet her mother understood the results were up to God. He was the One in control.
Mary Lou lost her mom first, then her dad. As her dad was dying, Mary Lou placed her first prayer note in one of her mother's God Boxes, passing on the discipline to another generation.
Mary Lou hopes that the story of her mother's God Box ritual might inspire others to begin the practice themselves. Though it was not her mother's intent, her prayer notes left a legacy of her belief and devotion. Perhaps a God Box will help you leave a legacy for those you love too.
(Note: Mary Lou's mother was Catholic and prayed accordingly.)
I received a complimentary copy of this book from a publicity group for the purpose of this review.
Page 1 of 1
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Counseling/Psychology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Emotional Issues
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Inspirational >> Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Inspirational >> Inspiring Stories
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Inspirational >> Stories for the Heart
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Leadership/Motivational >> Women
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Counseling/Psychology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Emotional Issues
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Inspirational
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Leadership/Motivational
- Download >> eBooks >> Family
- Download >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Counseling/Psychology
- Download >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Emotional Issues
- Download >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Inspirational
- Download >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Leadership/Motivational