Add To Cart
Add To Cart
By: Alfred Rahlfs & Robert Hanhart, eds.
Number of Pages: 941
Vendor: German Bible Society
Publication Date: 2006
|Dimensions: 5 X 7.5 X 2 (inches)|
Weight: 2 pounds 2 ounces
Stock No: WW561804
German Bible Society / 2020 / HardcoverOur Price$104.47
Retail Price$189.95Save 45% ($85.48)
J. Lust, E. Eynikel, K. HauspieGerman Bible Society / 2016 / HardcoverOur Price$105.49
Retail Price$119.95Save 12% ($14.46)
Hendrickson Publishers / 2018 / HardcoverOur Price$78.995 out of 5 stars for Septuaginta: A Reader's Edition - hardcover blue, 2 volumes. View reviews of this product. 4 Reviews
Retail Price$109.95Save 28% ($30.96)
Gregory R. Lanier & William A. Ross, eds.Hendrickson Publishers / 2018 / Imitation LeatherOur Price$84.495 out of 5 stars for Septuaginta: A Reader's Edition - Flexisoft black, 2 volumes. View reviews of this product. 4 Reviews
Retail Price$119.95Save 30% ($35.46)
The text is based on Codices Vaticanus, Sinaiticus and Alexandrinus, with variants noted in the critical apparatus.
This edition includes English, German, Latin and Modern Greek introductions, History of the Septuagint Text and Explanation of Symbols.
Significance of the Septuagint (LXX):
• The Septuagint is the most ancient translation of the Old Testament and consequently is invaluable to critics for understanding and correcting the Masoretic Text.
• The Septuagint was indispensable to the Early Church, serving as its "Bible." New Testament authors and Church Fathers would quote from the Septuagint when quoting the Old Testament. In this way, the Septuagint was instrumental in spreading the Messianic view of Jesus and propagating the Gospel. Knowledge of the Septuagint lends to a better understanding of the Old and New Testaments.
• The Septuagint served as the basis for the ancient Latin translations, that is, the Old Latin Vulgate.
• The Septuagint was important to Jews before the time of Christ--it helped Diaspora Jews who did not speak Hebrew still remain faithful to their religion, as well as allowing Gentiles to study Judaism.
• The Septuagint was important to early Christians--it helped inform their Messianic view of Christ and shaped the theology of the early Church.
• The Septuagint was important to the Catholic Church as it was the basis for the Old Latin Vulgate editions.
"This revised 'pocket-edition' (I use that term very loosely given its size and weight) remains true to Rahlfs' purpose: 'The aim of this work is to provide ministers and students with a reliable edition of the Septuagint at a moderate price, and thus to supply an important companion and aid to the study not only of the Old Testament, but also of the New Testament'. While Rahlfs' text is available in electronic form. . . there is still no substitute for having a good and updated critical apparatus as well. Those serious about biblical study or are interested in how the NT interprets the OT, should consider getting one."
• Highly recommended as a basic tool for biblical research."
--International Review of Biblical Studies
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.