Give your child a smart start with the revised and updated
What Your Second Grader Needs to Know
What will your child be expected to learn in the second grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these all-important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that hundreds of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American second graders. Designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children, featuring a new Introduction, this second-grade volume of the Core Knowledge Series presents the knowledge and skills that should be at the core of a challenging second-grade education, including
• Favorite poemsold and new, from "Caterpillars" to Gwendolyn Brookss prizewinning "Rudolph Is Tired of the City"
• Literaturefrom around the world, with African folktales, American tall tales, European fairy tales, and classic myths from ancient Greece
• Learning about languagethe basic building blocks of written English, all explained with a touch of humor and common sense
• World and American history and geographyvisit Japan, explore ancient Greece, travel the Underground Railroad with Harriet Tubman
• Visual artswith activities and full-color illustrations of masterworks by El Greco, Van Gogh, Matisse, and others
• Musicbasic theory, great composers, instruments, and fun-to-sing songs such as "Ive Been Working on the Railroad" and "Do-Re-Mi"
• Mathchallenging lessons ranging from telling time to doing fractions, numbers to 100, and a first look at geometry
• Sciencethe cycle of life and the seasons, levers and magnets, the wonder of the human body, and more, with lots of hands-on activities and stories about famous scientists
E. D. Hirsch, Jr., is an emeritus professor at the University of Virginia and the author of The Knowledge Deficit, The Schools We Need, and the bestselling Cultural Literacy and the Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. He and his wife, Polly, live in Charlottesville, Virginia, where they raised their three children.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.