Add To Cart
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Seabird became the mascot for four generations of seafarers: aboard a whaler, a clipper ship, a steamship, and finally an airplane. The story takes a unique look at America's seafaring history through the eyes of a carved bird and her special owners. It is full of beautiful, full-page paintings as well as fascinating and informative black-and-white drawings that ring the text. Recommended for ages 8 to 12. A 1949 Newbery Honor book.
Number of Pages: 64
Vendor: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date: 1978
|Dimensions: 11.25 X 9 (inches)|
"The subject takes the reader over the globe and provides room for imagination to aid history in vitalizing the period. The beauty of the illustrations gives the book distinction." Horn Book Guide
SnapplesCharlotte, NCAge: 35-44Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5High quality writingApril 23, 2016SnapplesCharlotte, NCAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Personally, I loved this book and the others by the same author. The written imagery, style and flow of writing as well as all the illustrations were all excellent. My children 8 and 11 didn't understand the imagery and had no clue what the author was describing. My boys hated the part of whaling, separating out the blubber, cleaning the ship after...I remember hating all that too in elementary school...it's only one page out of multiple wonderful pages. I've got some work to do with the kiddos and will try again this summer.
Connie Tiscareno5 Stars Out Of 5May 31, 2008Connie TiscarenoYou will not be disappointed if you order any of the five Holling books from CBD- the best place to buy books online. Their price is the best I've seen anywhere and the books are amazing. Seabird is my favorite. You will learn science, history and geography as you enjoy the story. The illustrations are incredibly beautiful! Amazing details and drawings in the margins are as educational and entertaining as the main text. Every family should have these in their home library- a must for nature lovers and sea-goers!
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Action/Adventure
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Classics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Newbery Award Winner
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature >> Children's Classics
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature >> Classics
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Action/Adventure
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Newbery Award Winner
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Classics