- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Spring Cyber Sale
- Sunday School
- Buy in Bulk
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Free ePub|
Vendor: Kregel Publications
Publication Date: 2013
Related by Chance, Family by Choice: Transforming Mother-in-Law and Daughter-in-Law RelationshipsDeborah DeArmondKregel Publications / 2013 / Trade Paperback$10.99 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 3 Reviews
$15.99Save 31% ($5.00)
The caricatures are everywhere, the jokes are inexhaustible, and the stereotypes fill the screens. From Marie Barone (Everyone Loves Raymond) to Viola Fields (Monster-in-Law) to Internet sites and social media pages like ihatemyinlaws.com and a Facebook page for ihatemymotherinlaw there is no shortage of examples of the caustic relationships that can develop between the two women in a man’s life.
Deb DeArmond and her three daughters-in-law have conducted their own exhaustive research into the status of the women-in-law relationship. Their research, which incorporated online surveys, interviews, and discussions, included asking about the faith factor in the relationships they studied. Of the respondents, nearly 90 percent claimed they were Christians, and 79 percent said their faith was foundational and guided their actions and decisions. As discouraging as it may be, the numbers of those they surveyed who reported that their women-in-law relationships were “bad” were nearly identical to those in a survey conducted by a popular secular website that recorded no statistics on faith.
Beyond the statistics and their analysis, Deb brings to this book more than thirty years working with adults to improve communications and deal constructively with conflict. Aside from her research and her professional expertise, perhaps the most important asset Deb brings to this work is her own relationship with her three daughters-in-law that is so obviously and unusually positive that she—and they—are often asked to explain the secret of the relationships they share.
This practical and unapologetically scriptural book covers issues of personal perceptions, strained communication, the roles of sons and fathers in the relationship’s success, how to begin these relationships on the right foot, and the necessity of trust and love. Deb’s one motivating objective is to help womenin- law move from women who are simply related to strong and confident members of a truly spiritual family.
"As a mother-in-law to five daughters-in-law, each with completely unique personalities, this book is a godsend of encouragement. Every mother of a grown son, and every woman who marries a man with a mama, needs this book. So thankful someone had the wisdom and courage to write it!"
---Becky Johnson, Co-Author of We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook
"With godly wisdom, insight, and abundant ideas and tips, Deborah DeArmond equips "women-in-law" who love the same man with all they need to do life together well. Related by Chance, Family by Choice is an excellent resource that I will refer to again and again."
---Twila Belk, Author or co-author of five books, including I Believe in Healing and I Believe in Heaven
"Deborah DeArmond's new book, Related by Chance, Family by Choice teaches how to evaluate "in-law" relationships with Biblical acuity and perceptiveness. You will profoundly benefit from Deborah's keen insight into the scriptures and her down to earth illustrations and practical life applications."
---Laurie Dodds, Speaker and Author
A Word From the Author▼▲
"It is possible to have a sound relationship between 'women-in-law,' although it may not be easy," DeArmond asserts. "This book explores how to do it, not in our own strength or ability, but doing it God's way - by walking, not in the law, but in love - and if necessary, He'll loan us some of His. The book provides practical tools and tips coupled with the scriptural foundations to align this relationship with God's word."
Words of Wisdom from the Book▼▲
- You are responsible for your behavior. Let God handle the results.
- When God created a woman to walk with Adam in life, He didn't make a mama. He created a wife.
- If blood is thicker than water, are you willing to let the blood of Christ make you family?
- Leaving and cleaving. It's a commandment, not a suggestion.
- A note to boy mamas: He was yours to raise, but never to keep!
- Hey Boy Mama! God never meant for you to be the most important woman in his life. That spot belongs to his wife!
- When we use ourselves as the measuring stick, the whole world comes up short! Celebrate differences! Different is not wrong. It's just different.
- Sometimes God doesn't change your situation because He's trying to change your heart.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Family >> Parenting >> Blended Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Personal Growth >> Relationships
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Family >> Parenting >> Blended Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Family >> Parenting >> Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Relationships
- Download >> eBooks >> Family >> Parenting
- Download >> eBooks >> Personal Growth >> Relationships