Add To Cart
Add To Cart
Add To Cart
There was an age – not long ago – when most Americans held at least a few of the same “truths” as understood, unassailable. Those days are gone. Our new reality is, for many, challenging and disorienting. William Brosend’s Preaching Truth in the Age of Alternative Facts teaches how to preach in a way that allows the church to be its best self: a place of commitment, engagement, acceptance, and compassion for all God’s children.
|Title: Preaching Truth in the Age of Alternative Facts|
By: William F. Brosend II
Number of Pages: 128
Vendor: Abingdon Press
|Publication Date: 2018|
Weight: 5 ounces
Stock No: WW870241
Donald R. SunukjianKregel Publications / 2007 / HardcoverOur Price$18.995 out of 5 stars for Invitation to Biblical Preaching: Proclaiming Truth with Clarity and Relevance. View reviews of this product. 3 Reviews
Retail Price$31.99Save 41% ($13.00)
Aaron E. LavenderB&H Academic / 2016 / Trade PaperbackOur Price$24.995 out of 5 stars for Enduring Truth: Restoring Sound Theology and Relevance to African American Preaching. View reviews of this product. 1 Reviews
Paul Scott WilsonAbingdon Press / 2014 / Trade PaperbackOur Price$17.99
Retail Price$19.99Save 10% ($2.00)
John PiperCrossway / 2018 / HardcoverOur Price$12.49
Retail Price$29.99Save 58% ($17.50)
Good preaching has always been a challenge, a combination of exegesis, insight and craft in witness to the Gospel and in service of the Church. Cultural forces, in particular the proliferation of media outlets and the explosion of available entertainment sources, have only made the challenge greater. And that was when most agreed on a common set of facts. Those days are now past and gone, and preachers may be forgiven if at times it feels as if the task is impossible:
- The pulpit is like a tightrope, stretched between red and blue, Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals. And there is no net.
- I read the Beatitudes last Sunday and the tension in the church was palpable. Who knew "Blessed are the peacemakers" were fighting words?
- Everything I say is being interpreted and analyzed for things I never even thought about. Joshua and the Battle of Jericho has become a commentary on whether or not we should build a wall on the border.
- I cannot believe how angry people are.
- Im old enough to remember when the big difference was whether you got your news from Walter Cronkite on CBS or Huntley/Brinkley on NBC. Now no one agrees on what constitutes news. Or facts.
Truth in the Age of Alternative Facts offers a way forward. This is a book for preachers, teachers, and other leaders, along with students of preaching. It demonstrates how to proclaim honest, faithful, candid sermons, in spite of social and political disagreements. It teaches how to preach in a way that allows the Church to be its best selfa place of commitment, engagement, acceptance and compassion for all Gods children.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.