Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
* This product is not available for purchase in certain countries.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Baker Academic
Publication Date: 1998
of customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Page 1 of 1
Keith Little5 Stars Out Of 5November 28, 2008Keith LittleDr. Mattingly has done another excellent job on this fine scholarly work. Please keep up the great work for God's Kingdom.
A.D. Riddle5 Stars Out Of 5March 5, 2004A.D. RiddleThe book covers 13 different people groups in as many chapters: Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Hittites, Canaanites & Amorites, Phoenicians, Arameans, Philistines, Egyptians, Ammonites, Moabites, Edomites. Most of the chapters are 25-30 pages in length. Each chapter is written by a different scholar and the quality of content and writing varies from one to the other. Younkers chapter on the Ammonites stood out as a particularly outstanding piece of writing. I also enjoyed reading the first four chapters (Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians) all together because the material overlapped occasionally and this helped to reinforce the information in my mind. Some authors evidently feel no commitment to biblical inerrancy (e.g. Pritard on the Arameans) and others defense of biblical inerrancy seems strained and unpersuasive (notably Howard on the Philistines). Most of the writers I recognized as more conservative in their approach to biblical historicity: B. Arnold, Yamauchi, Hoffmeier, Mattingly. Overall, an excellent place to begin studying the other nations which Israel encountered in her history. The number one weakness of this book, and it is a significant weakness, is the lack of maps. Authors mention cities in relation to other cities, mountains and plains, rivers, and so forth, and the reader has no place to turn to make sense of the geographical descriptions.
Page 1 of 1
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Old Testament Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> Ancient Near East
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biblical Studies >> Old Testament Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Old Testament Studies
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies