- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Map Area▼▲
- US States▼▲
- District of Columbia
- New England
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
This five-book series teaches junior and senior high school students words derived from the most important Greek and Latin roots. Every lesson introduces up to fifteen words derived from two or more classical roots. A dictionary-like format provides all the necessary information, including related forms of the word and sentences illustrating each word's correct usage.
Special sections called "Nota Bene" provide information about etymologies and words that might be confused. Drawings, illustrative sentences, and challenging exercises help students master the vocabulary they need to read works of literature and prepare for SAT's. Exercises based on synonyms, antonyms, analogies, vocabulary in context, and sentence completions not only test students' mastery of definitions but also develop their familiarity with the format of comparable items on standardized tests. Other exercises offer practice in recognizing correct usage. Books D and E also contain an exercise that tests vocabulary in context for each lesson. Grade 10.
Vocabulary From Classical Roots, Book D, Teacher's Guide and Answer KeyEducators Publishing Service / Trade Paperback$17.39 Retail:
$24.95Save 30% ($7.56)Availability: In StockStock No: WW808638
A thematically organized vocabulary program based on Greek and Latin roots. Each of the 16 lessons features 2-3 roots and 8-15 words derived from these roots. Words are presented with dictionary-style definitions, and all words are used in example sentences. Lists of "Familiar Words" and "Challenge Words" are provided for each root to help all students activate prior knowledge and keep advanced students on task.
This Guide covers Book D. The guide complements, extends, and enriches the series as it:
- provides scaffolding for individual learning needs
- helps students access prior knowledge and make connections to new learning.
- offers a variety of activities that can be adapted for whole-class, small group, or independent learning situations.
- presents teachers with a practical and effective method for teaching vocabulary through classical roots, even when that background is not part of the teacher's own experience
- Lesson-by-lesson support for group instruction and discussion
- Strategies for making connections between roots, familiar words, and key words
- Blackline masters to reinforce key words from each lesson
- Additional review activities
- Vocabulary games and word-learning strategies
- Glossary of literary and historical references
- Answer key
Vocabulary from Classical Roots Blackline Master Test: Book DEducators Publishing Service / Trade Paperback$16.39 Retail:
$23.60Save 31% ($7.21)Availability: In StockStock No: WW228258
This test book accompanies Vocabulary From Classical Roots Book D, Grade 10 Student Book. Each test covers two chatpers and is in multiple-choice format. Students will be asked to choose the best word to complete a sentence, finish analogies, and determine vocabulary definitions. Answers are included. 43 reproducible pages, paperback.
Vocabulary from Classical Roots Book D Answer Key OnlyEducators Publishing Service / Trade Paperback$3.99 Retail:
$5.60Save 29% ($1.61)Availability: In StockStock No: WW800868
This answer key accompanies Vocabulary From the Classical Roots Book D. Answers are listed for each exercise and review. 8 pages.