Frederic M. WheelockCollins Reference / 2011 / HardcoverOur Price$21.995 out of 5 stars for Wheelock's Latin, 7th Edition. View reviews of this product. 1 Reviews
Retail Price$29.99Save 27% ($8.00)Availability: In StockStock No: WW997211
For sixty years, Wheelock's Latin has remained the opitmus liber of beginning Latin textbooks.
When Professor Frederic M. Wheelock's Latin first appeared in 1956, the reviews extolled its thoroughness, organization, and conciseness; one reviewer predicted that the book "might well become the standard text" for introducing students to elementary Latin. Now, nearly six decades later, that prediction has certainly proved accurate.
This 7th edition of Wheelock's Latin has all of the features, many of them improved and expanded, that have made it the bestselling single-volume beginning Latin textbook:
- 40 chapters with grammatical explanations and readings drawn from the works of Rome's major prose and verse writers
- Self-tutorial exercises, each with an answer key, for independent study
- An extensive English-Latin/Latin-English vocabulary section
- A rich selection of original Latin readings-unlike other Latin textbooks, which contain primarily made-up texts
- Etymological aids, maps, and dozens of images illustrating aspects of the classical culture and mythology presented in the chapter readings
Supplement your Latin studies with this collection of authentic, unadapted, unsimplified bits of texts, graffiti, proverbs and other writings from Rome's population. With selections from both the important political folks as well as the commoner, this unique textbook features i llustrations, photos, maps, discussions/comprehension questions, vocabulary, summary of forms, and other features in addition to the actual texts. Excerpts become progressively more difficult as students work through the book. 302 pages, softcover.