The Readable Bible
Draw Closer to God. Understand His Word. Know His Plan.
Do you wish the Bible were easier to read?
You're not alone. Many people wish they read it more often. But let's face it. With page after page of plain text, the Bible is hard to read.
The Readable Bible is Scripture the way it would look if the biblical writers had been sitting in front of a computer when God spoke through them.
The first of its kind (there hasn't been a cover-to-cover Bible formatting update in the last one hundred years), it's primarily a word-for-word translation that arranges the text in the easy-to-read formats of today's books. It's the best of both worlds: accurate yet understandable.
Key Features for Easy Reading:
Instead of plain text...
- Genealogies are shown as family trees; the line of Jesus is highlighted.
- Census numbers are in tables.
- Law code is in outline format as in modern law books.
- Poetry and theological passages are presented in cascading text.
- Text digressions are separated by callouts, so readers can easily see where they begin and end.
Callouts and Footnotes
- Define words used in the Bible but not everyday life.
- Define words that are common, but commonly misunderstood.
- Provide insights into ancient culture and historical context.
- Provide a literal translation whenever a thought-for-thought translation is given.
Helpful Study Aids in Every Edition
- Maps - Movements of individuals and groups are shown on maps keyed to the text and located nearby.
- Glossary - Uncommon words used once or twice are defined in a footnote—three or more times in a glossary.
- Table of Contents - A Table of Contents makes it easy to locate information.
- Illustrations - Illustrations enhance understanding (e.g., the temple and its furniture, Nehemiah’s wall).
Additional Study Aids in Individual Volumes
- Table of Persons - Key persons, with their important actions, are listed in a table along with the chapters in which they are mentioned.
- Familiar Verses - Familiar verses are listed, so readers can easily locate them and read them in context.
- Subject Index - A subject index is provided for easier topical study.
- Prophecy Tables - Tables describe the features in the more complicated prophetic passages, making them easier to understand.