- Media Type▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
You'll see a breadth of ways to care with biblical perspective and reasons why we must. Heartwarming, personal stories and vivid illustrations from a growing network of families, churches, and organizations that cross cultures show how to respond to God's mandate. The book empowers:
- churches-to plan preaching, teaching, ministering, missions, funding adoption, supporting orphans;
- individuals and families-to overcome challenges and uncertainties;
- every believer-to gain insights to help orphans in numerous ways.
Discover how to adopt, assist orphans in transition, engage in foster care, partner with faith-based fostering agencies, and become orphan hosts. Along with their families' adoption stories, Merida and Morton give steps for action and features on churches doing orphan ministry, faith-based children's homes, orphanhosting groups, and other resources.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: New Hope Publishers
Publication Date: 2011
Rick, along with his wife, Denise, played an integral role in the cofounding of Promise 139, an international orphan-hosting ministry. He serves as discipleship pastor at Temple Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and has numerous youth ministry publications to his credit.
Pastor, professor, and father of five, Tony Merida has quickly become a leading voice in the growing movement for adoption and orphan care. His passion for the fatherless is evident through his writing, teaching, and speaking. Visit Tony online at www.tonymerida.net.
Both authors are involved in formal ministry and also have experience with adoption: each have welcomed multiple adopted children into their homes. Whereas the authors concede that adoption, specifically, may not be everyone's calling, care of orphans is. As Rick Morton writes, "Orphanology focuses on orphans and adoption, but at the center of this book, like all of life, is God's eternal story, the gospel" (p. 7). The book contains an easy-to-read mix of personal adoption recollections from themselves and their extended families and their friends, detailed biblical theses on the subjects of adoption, and how the organized church and its people should, and can, respond to the issue of orphan care.
The first part of this book focuses on the need for orphan care and God's call to action. Beyond this solid theological argument for orphan care, the second part of the book provides a number of practical guidelines and ideas for how God's people can participate in this important work. Chapter titles include: "How Do You Lead a Church to Care for the Fatherless?"; "How Do You Do Missions Through Orphanage Funding, Personnel, and Training?"; and "How Can the Church Respond in Foster Care?" The theme of both the book and the authors' formal ministries is James 1:27: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
I found the memoirs to be interesting and inspiring, and the practical tips to be clear and biblically based. The book would be an excellent choice for a reading group or a small group study wishing to incorporate both biblical truths and social issues. Highly recommended. Dr. Jan Reber, www.ChristianBookPreviews.com
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Apologetics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Challenging Topics >> Worldview
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Family
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Apologetics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Challenging Topics >> Worldview
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Family
- Download >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Apologetics
- Download >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Challenging Topics
- Download >> eBooks >> Theology