- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Sayre Street Books
Publication Date: 2016
On Liberty presents John Stuart Mill’s theory of utilitarianism, which posits that all conduct should be directed toward the achievement of happiness. The individual should be able to govern himself in this pursuit. One of the great works of 19th century philosophy, On Liberty remains relevant, highly-readable and fascinating.
Sayre Street Books offers the world's greatest literature in easy to navigate, beautifully designed digital editions.
John Stuart Mill was an English philosopher, politician and economist most famous for his contributions to the theory of utilitarianism. The author of numerous influential political treatises, Mill's writings on liberty, freedom of speech, democracy and economics have helped to form the foundation of modern liberal thought. His 1859 work, On Liberty, is particularly noteworthy for helping to address the nature and limits of the power of the state over the individual. Mills has become one of the most influential figures in nineteenth-century philosophy, and his writings are still widely studied and analyzed by scholars. Mills died in 1873 at the age of 66.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Philosophy >> Western Philosophy >> Modern Philosophy
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Philosophy >> Western Philosophy >> Philosophy
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> History >> US History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Philosophy >> Western Philosophy
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Philosophy >> Western Philosophy
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> History