- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Cyber Deals
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
The New American Bible is the most popular Catholic translation available in the U.S. and is now being revised for the first time in 20 years. The revision aims at making use of the best manuscript traditions available, translating as accurately as possible and rendering the result in good contemporary English. In many ways it is a more literal translation than the original New American Bible.
In addition to the translation itself, the NAB provides helpful introductions to the books of the Bible as well as authorized running notes explaining the teachings, background, and literary context for the passages, making it an unparalleled resource for Bible readers.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Publication Date: 2012
The New American Bible revised edition is more than a mere Bible translation. Authorizedby the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine and approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the New American Bible seeks to provide the best resource for understanding the church's sacred Scripture.
To begin with, the translation beautifully and accurately conveys the word of God in English, using the most recent scholarly resources available and translating directly from the original languages. While the Bible plays a central role in the church's life, it is also important to remember that it is an ancient book written over several centuries. It carries a rich tradition of interpretation over even more centuries.
That is why the many scholars and church teachers who worked years on this project did more than provide a clear and accessible translation; they also sought to provide additional help and guidance for those who truly want to understand what they are reading:
- Each book of the Bible begins with an introduction, providing the historical context of the work, its literary style, its main themes, its use in the history of the church, as well as an outline of the contents.
- As you read the Scriptures, notes have beenprovided at the bottom of the page offeringexplanations for particular passages, terms, and concepts.
- Since Scripture often refers to itself, a system of cross-references are provided so you can see where else historical figures, particular stories, or similar concepts are also treated in the Bible.
- At the end of the Bible, sixteen pages of color maps are provided to help orient the Bible's stories in their geographical context.
Leanne5 Stars Out Of 5New American BibleJanuary 5, 2015LeanneQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I was pleasantly surprised. This bible is perfect in every way. I purchased it as a Christmas gift for my husband and he loves it!
Terry DunnTorontoAge: 55-65Gender: Male5 Stars Out Of 5LITERARY, ACCURATE, AND READABLEFebruary 27, 2014Terry DunnTorontoAge: 55-65Gender: MaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5The NABRE is an excellent translation done by Catholic (and some protestant) Scholars.
Regardless of one's faith tradition, this review focuses on the NABRE translation itself not the translators. As a translation, the NABRE is without a doubt "a magnificent translation". It is more literal and literary than NIV 2011 and takes a more balanced approach to gender language that is more in line with the original Hebrew and Greek.
The annotations factor in critical scholarship but pay close attention to historic Christian faith. For example, annotations on Gen 3:15; Psalm 2; Psalm 110; Is 7:14; Is 53 all point to Christ. Christ Himself indicated that all Scripture points to Him as Messiah (see John 5:39).
Finally, the NABRE includes the Deuterocanonical books which were accepted by most Christians until the Reformation. I highly recommend the NABRE for its accuracy and literary power!
NeilSafford, AZAge: 45-54Gender: male4 Stars Out Of 5Pretty decent constructionDecember 24, 2013NeilSafford, AZAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 4Value: 4Meets Expectations: 5Yes, it is smyth sewn. The paper quality and printing is good althought the pages are a bit on the thin side. The size is managable -- not too big. Thicker pages would mean thicker book; and it's thick enough already.
I wanted this book so that I could consider having it re-bound in a different material. With this ambition in mind, rounded page corners would be nice. Maybe I could have that done during the rebinding.
The maps in the back are pretty and helpful.
Find Related Products
- Bibles >> Download >> eBooks
- Bibles >> Other Bibles >> Catholic Bible
- Catholic >> Bibles
- Download >> eBooks >> Bibles >> Catholic Bible
- Download >> eBooks >> Bibles >> Other Bibles
- Download >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Bibles
- eBooks >> Bibles >> Catholic Bible
- eBooks >> Bibles >> Other Bibles
- eBooks >> Catholic >> Bibles