Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 384
Vendor: Ignatius Press
Publication Date: 2011
|Dimensions: 7.7 X 5.5 X 1.4 (inches)|
Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The Resurrection, Volume II Study GuidePope Benedict XVIIgnatius Press / 2011 / Trade Paperback$4.99 Retail:
$7.95Save 37% ($2.96)
Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration, Volume IPope Benedict XVIIgnatius Press / 2008 / Trade Paperback$12.99 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 2 Reviews
$16.95Save 23% ($3.96)
Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration, Volume I Study GuidePope Benedict XVIIgnatius Press / 2008 / Trade Paperback$7.16 Retail:
$7.95Save 10% ($0.79)
More from the Publisher▼▲
The Holy Father tackles many of history's most volatile questions about the final week of Jesus' earthly life:
- Who killed Jesus?
- Was Jesus a political revolutionary?
- Was he the Messiah, the Son of God?
- What did Jesus teach about the end of the world?
- Did Jesus establish a community of disciples - the Church - to continue his work?
- How did Jesus interpret his death?
- What does the evidence tell us about Jesus' ultimate fate? Did he really rise from the dead?
- Did the early Christians believe Jesus would return immediately? Benedict answers those questions and more. The figure of Jesus that emerges from this study is of someone who is both divine and human; God's self-disclosure in his Son, who tells us about God but also about ourselves.
"Only in this second volume do we encounter the decisive sayings and events of Jesus' life...I hope that I have been granted an insight into the figure of Our Lord that can be helpful to all readers who seek to encounter Jesus and to believe in Him."
-Pope Benedict XVI
"Working from Scripture, the Church Fathers and contemporary scholarship, Benedict XVI deftly brings together the historical and theological dimensions of the gospel portraits of Jesus. This is a splendid, penetrating study of the central figure of Christian faith; a learned and spiritual illumination not only of who Jesus was, but who he is for us today."
-Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap., Archbishop of Denver
"What better guide could you find than Benedict XVI to lead you on the bracing adventure of exploring the historical Jesus and discovering, under the tutelage of this most sage successor to Peter, the inner meaning of Jesus' death and resurrection. Faith and reason are the two wings Benedict XVI takes up to lead us to astonishingly fresh spiritual perspectives and dizzying heights. This book often takes ones breath away, while infusing in the reader the God-breathed Word, which is the Gospel."
- Tim Gray, Ph.D., President , Augustine Institute
"As is his first volume of Jesus of Nazareth, so, once again, in his second volume Pope Benedict XVI has authored a marvelous book, this time on the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus. What makes this study so attractive is the depth of its biblical insight, its attention to historical issues, its keen theological acumen, and its lucid and precise expression. Moreover, as with the first volume, it is written in a serene and prayerful manner - a serenity and a prayerfulness that is conveyed to the heart and mind of the reader. This book fulfills Pope Benedict's ardent desire - that it would "be helpful to all readers who seek to encounter Jesus and to believe in him."
-Thomas G. Weinandy, O.F.M., Cap., Executive Director for the Secretariat for Doctrine, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
"On the Day of Pentecost, Peter sought to explain to the assembled multitude what God had done through Jesus of Nazareth, crucified and risen. Peter's successor, Benedict XVI, here undertakes the same urgent task, in fruitful dialogue with the historical-critical biblical scholarship that dominates contemporary academic study of Jesus. Charting the path of the new evangelization, Pope Benedict XVI uncovers for us the living source of Peter's evangelizing mission: Jesus, in whom God gives hope to the world."
-Matthew Levering, Ph.D., Co-Editor, Nova et Vetera, and Co-Director, Center for Catholic-Evangelical Dialogue
"This theological masterpiece courageously confronts head-on two centuries of historical exegesis and establishes a fresh way of reading the Gospels as both biography and theology in a coherent way. The author explains, "I set out to discover the real Jesus, on the basis of whom something like a Christology from below would then become possible. The quest for the historical Jesus, as conducted in mainstream critical exegesis in accordance with its hermeneutical presuppositions, lacks sufficient content to exert any significant historical impact. It is focused too much on the past for it to make possible a personal relationship with Jesus." Here we find a compelling model for the presentation of the life of holy rabbi, Hillel or Aqiba, in the same context as we account for the life of Jesus."
- Jacob Neusner, Distinguished Service Professor of the History and Theology of Judaism; Senior Fellow, Institute of Advanced Theology - Bard College
Sugar RayTXAge: Over 65Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5Best priceJune 22, 2011Sugar RayTXAge: Over 65Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5It is a must read for everyone not just Roman Catholics, excellent choice for next lent.
Find Related Products▼▲
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> New Testament Studies >> Gospel Studies >> Exegetical/Theological Studies >> Death and Resurrection
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> New Testament Studies >> Gospel Studies >> Historical Jesus
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Christology
- Academic >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Catholic Theology
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> New Testament Studies >> Gospel Studies >> Exegetical/Theological Studies >> Death and Resurrection
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> New Testament Studies >> Gospel Studies >> Historical Jesus
- Books >> Catholic >> Jesus
- Books >> Catholic >> Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Christology
- Books >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Catholic Theology
- Catholic >> Jesus
- Catholic >> Theology