This product is not available for expedited shipping.
* This product is available for shipment only to the USA.
First published in 1963, this unique and pioneering anthology has been continuously used as an invaluable text in the field of Russian studies, for it presented over 60 selections from the finest of Russia's medieval authors.In the light of recent scholarship, the author has completely revised the text. He has also enlarged the bookby adding almost one hundred pages of new material. Inaddition to a comprehensive introduction, the editor hasprefaced each selection with detailed information about itsliterary and historical background, and has included aglossary and brief chronology of Russian history and culture.
First published in 1963, this unique and pioneering anthology has been continuously used as an invaluable text in Russian studies. Containing over sixty selections from the finest of Russias medieval authors, much of the material published in this anthology has never before been available in English. Medieval Russian Epics, Chronicles, and Tales is a vital resource for readers interested in learning more about the writings that influenced Pushkin, Gogol, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Chekhov.
Editor Serge A. Zenkovsky completely revised the text and enlarged the book, adding almost one hundred pages of new material, including:
· Sviatoslavs Early Campaigns
· The Siege of Kiev and Olgas Death
· Vladimir Monomakh: Instruction to His Children
· Tale of the Life and Courage of the Pious and Great Prince Alexander
· Narrative of the Pious Prince Dovmont and His Courage
· The Writing of Daniil the Prisoner
· Orison on the Life and Death of Grand Prince Dmitry Ivanovich
· Afanasy Nikitins Journey Across Three Seas
· Ivan Funikov: Message of a Nobleman to a Nobleman
· Epic of Sukhan
· Simeon Polotsky: Excerpt from Ode on the Birth of Peter I
· Simeon Polotsky: The Law
· Simeon Polotsky: The Merchant Class
· Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich: The Rules of Falconry
In addition to a comprehensive introduction, the editor has prefaced each selection with detailed information about its literary and historical background, and has included a glossary and brief chronology of Russian history and culture.