Learning Theology with the Church Fathers - eBook
Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Philosophical Branches▼▲
- Philosophical Schools▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
* This product is available for purchase worldwide.
|Format: DRM Free ePub|
Vendor: IVP Academic
|Publication Date: 2009|
The early church fathers were great theologians--though they did not think of themselves as such. They were working pastors, involved in the daily life and leadership of their congregations. Yet they were wrestling with many of the great and formative questions of the Christian faith, such as the Trinity, the incarnation, the providence of God and the nature of the church. These beliefs were defined in the crucible of spiritual leadership, pastoral care and theological conflict, all set against the background of the great cultural movements and events of their day. For the church fathers, theology was a spiritual exercise woven into the texture of life. What would it be like to sit under the preaching and instruction of these great men, to look over their shoulders as they thought and wrote, or to hear them debate theological issues? Learning Theology with the Church Fathers offers us that experience. With the same insight and love of his subject that he brought to Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers, Christopher A. Hall opens the door on patristic theology. Focusing on the great questions, we view these issues in their settings and find greater appreciation for the foundations and architecture of our Christian faith.
Christopher A. Hall (PhD, Drew University) is the director of Renovaré Institute of Christian Spiritual Formation. He is associate editor of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, and his books include , , and . Hall previously served at Eastern University for over twenty years in several roles, including chancellor, provost, dean of Palmer Seminary, dean of the Templeton Honors College, distinguished professor of theology, and director of academic spiritual formation. He and his wife, Debbie, live in Pennsylvania and have three grown children.
of customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Page 1 of 1
Sean GoldenNewark, OHAge: 25-34Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5Scholarly!November 15, 2012Sean GoldenNewark, OHAge: 25-34Gender: maleLearn Theology with the Church Fathers is a scholarly source that all students of the Bible and pastors must have for their library. The reading is an easy read and I encourage even a layperson to study this text. It gives a historical background of certain doctrines and how these were wrestled with by those in the early church. A must have for all personal and church libraries!
stephanie5 Stars Out Of 5November 30, 2006stephanieAs a student, this book does a great job of introducing Christianity, theology, and everything about it, plus its easy to read.
Page 1 of 1
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Church Fathers
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Patristic Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Church Fathers
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology