Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
- Buy in Bulk
Monsignor Ronald Knox was commissioned in 1939 by the Bishops of England and Wales to produce a fresh translation of the Holy Scripture and, for the next nine years, he worked alone to achieve this task. He used Pope Clement VIII's edition of the Latin Vulgate as a base for his translation, diligently comparing it to Greek, Hebrew, Syriac and Chaldean manuscripts to determine the meaning of ambiguous passages.
The Knox Bible is the ideal translation for those looking to deepen their understanding of the Holy Scriptures. It was hailed as the finest translation of the 20th Century, approved for liturgical use and was endorsed by Pope Pius XII, Archbishop Fulton Sheen and many more. It is spiritual and literary, graceful and lyrical, making it one of the most beautiful vernacular versions of the Holy Bible.
The unique features of the Knox Bible are:
- Translated from the Latin Vulgate and compared with the Greek and Hebrew Texts single handedly by Ronald Knox over nine years.
- Uses timeless English, which is both sacral and reverent.
- Set in a single-column format with verse references placed at the side of the text in order to provide a clear and easily readable Bible.
- Was hailed as the finest translation of the 20th Century, was approved for liturgical use and was endorsed by Pope Pius XII, Archbishop Fulton Sheen and many more.
- The full Bible is now available again for the first time in over 50 years, in an edition from Baronius Press, beautifully bound in leather with gold page edges.
- Included with this new edition is a paperback edition of On Englishing the Bible (5.5" x 8", 72 pages) in which Msgr. Knox describes his account of the ordeal, which manages to be both illuminating and full of his wit. Anyone wishing to know more about Knox's translation—and the problems involved in rendering the sacred Scriptures into the vernacular—will be fascinated to hear from the translator himself how he tackled this mammoth project.
|Format: Genuine Leather|
Number of Pages: 1456
Vendor: Baronius Press
Publication Date: 2012
Dimensions: 8.25 X 6.0 (inches)
References: Side Column
|Text Layout: Single Column|
Text Color: Black Letter
Text Size: 9 Point
Note Size: 7 Point
Thumb Index: No
Ribbon Marker: Yes
Page Gilding: Gold
The New American Bible, Genuine Leather, Black, Large Print, Revised EditionOxford University Press / 2011 / Genuine Leather$44.99 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 18 Reviews
$64.99Save 31% ($20.00)
NRSV Catholic Youth Bible, Third Edition, HardcoverGinny Halbur(Ed.)Saint Mary's Press / 2010 / Hardcover$31.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews
$37.95Save 16% ($5.96)
Ronald Knox's translation of the Bible remains an exceptional achievement both of scholarship and of literary dedication. Again and again it successfully avoids conventional options and gives the scriptural text a fresh flavour, often with a brilliantly idiosyncratic turn of phrase. It most certainly deserves republication, study and use.
Archbishop Rowan Williams
Msgr. Knox had a profound love for Sacred Scripture, a passion was to make the Bible accessible to as many people as possible … In the Knox translation, clarity is paramount.
Dr. Scott Hahn
Praiseworthy achievement … a monument of many years of patient study and toil.
Ven. Pope. Pius XII
I am delighted at the republication of Mgr Ronald Knox's translation of the Bible. It was my father's favourite translation and I can remember the trouble he went to in order to replace a lost edition of the New Testament. Mgr Knox was a distinguished priest of the Diocese of Westminster and such a gifted preacher and giver of retreats. His memorable phrases are still quoted. He brought that same skill, together with considerable scholarship, to the immense task of Biblical translation. Many will welcome this new publication of his achievement.
Archbishop Vincent Nichols
Mgr. Knox's version continues to merit attention, and I welcome the publication of this new edition, as his remarkable work is likely to continue to be of interest for many years to come. I sincerely hope that many will read and profit from this new edition.
Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor
Ask a Question▼▲
Q: What font is the KNOX bible printed in?
This edition has been re-typeset using the text of the 1963 edition. The font size is 9 point.