Add To Cart
Pelikan compares how the Bible and the Constitution have approached interpretation as well as searches for answers to what makes something "constitutional" or "biblical". And in spite of obvious differences, both the Bible and the Constitution require close word-by-word exegesis, an awareness of opinions that have gone before, and a willingness to ask new questions of old codes.
Jaroslav Pelikan was Sterling Professor of History Emeritus at Yale University. He served as the first John W. Kluge Scholar at the Library of Congress. A world authority on the Christian tradition, he was a highly sought lecturer, the author of nearly forty books, and the editor of scores of others. Pelikan was Co-Winner of the 2004 John W. Kluge Prize for Lifetime Achievement in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Number of Pages: 272
Vendor: Yale University Press
|Dimensions: 8.50 X 5.75 X .75 (inches)|
Jaroslav Pelikan compares the methods by which the official interpreters of the Bible and the Constitutionthe Christian Church and the Supreme Court, respectivelyhave approached the necessity of interpreting, and reinterpreting, their important texts. In spite of obvious differences, both texts require close, word-by-word exegesis, an awareness of opinions that have gone before, and a willingness to ask new questions of old codes, Pelikan observes. He probes for answers to the question of what makes something authentically constitutional or biblical, and he demonstrates how an understanding of either biblical interpretation or constitutional interpretation can illuminate the other in important ways.
. . .a characteristically brilliant and original conceptual overview, one that generations of scholars will need to readand interpret.Christopher Levenick, Claremont Review of Books
Find Related Products▼▲
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Biblical Interpretation
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Reference Works
- Academic >> Church History >> American Religious History
- Academic >> Church History >> Reference Works
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Biblical Interpretation
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Reference Works
- Books >> Church History >> American Religious History
- Books >> Church History >> Reference Works
- Non-Fiction >> History >> US History
- Non-Fiction >> Reference Works