Add To Cart
Edited by Jacob Neuser and Bruce Chilton, In Quest of the Historical Pharisees sketches the many portraits of the Pharisees that emerge from ancient sources. Based upon the Gospels, the writings of Paul, Josephus, the Mishnah, the Tosefta, and archeology, the volume profiles the Pharisees and explores the relationship between the Pharisees and the Judaic religious system foreshadowed by the library of Qumran. A great virtue of this study is that no attempt is made to homogenize the distinct pictures or reconstruct a singular account of the Pharisees; instead, by carefully considering the sources, the chapters allow different pictures of the Pharisees to stand side by side.
|Title: In Quest of the Historical Pharisees|
By: Jacob Neusner(Eds.) & Bruce D. Chilton(Eds.)
Number of Pages: 522
Vendor: Baylor University Press
Publication Date: 2010
|Dimensions: 9.00 X 6.00 (inches)|
Weight: 1 pound 14 ounces
Stock No: WW792720
The Jerusalem Talmud: A Translation and Commentary on CD-RomEdited by Jacob NeusnerHendrickson Publishers / Compact disc$74.99 Retail:4 Stars Out Of 5 4 Reviews
$179.95Save 58% ($104.96)
Transformations in Ancient Judaism: Textual Evidence for Creative Responses to CrisisJacob NeusnerHendrickson Publishers / 2016 / Trade Paperback$18.99 Retail:
$24.95Save 24% ($5.96)
Josephus, Judea, and Christian Origins: Methods and CategoriesSteve MasonBaker Academic / 2008 / Trade Paperback$40.00
Jacob Neusner was Research Professor of Theology and Senior Fellow of the Institute of Advanced Theology at Bard College.
Bruce D. Chilton is Bernard Iddings Bell Professor of Religion, Rector of the Church of St. John the Evangelist, and Executive Director of the Institute of Advanced Theology at Bard College.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Early Judaism >> Rabbinic Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Early Judaism >> Second Temple Period
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Old Testament Studies >> OT Socio-Historical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> OT Socio-Historical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Backgrounds of Early Christianity