Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Vendor: Westminster John Knox Press
Publication Date: 1991
|Dimensions: 5 1/4 X 8 (inches)|
In this complete and valuable version of his Homiletics, renowned theologian Karl Barth's offers his thoughts on sermon preparation, including his understanding of the way in which the preacher should interpret scripture. Translated by Donald E. Daniels and renowned Barth translator Geoffrey W. Bromiley, this book presents lecture materials from seminars in Bonn from 1932 to 1933.
Peter CNSW, AustraliaAge: 45-54Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5Excellent - prepare for a preaching overhaul!October 31, 2011Peter CNSW, AustraliaAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I recommend that you read this book in conjunction with Barth's Church Dogmatics to fully understand his perspective (at least Vol 1.1, the Doctrine of the Word of God). This book calls into question many, if not most, of the presuppositions underpinning 'modern' preaching.
Obed Ladiny4 Stars Out Of 5March 7, 2009Obed LadinyThis book breaks out of the traditional mold of understanding and doing homiletics. The 'superficial' and 'gone with the modern wind' preachers need this book to remind them that preaching is not about them, but it is about God. Too many young preachers are imitating their mentors or older preachers; they are everyone and everything, but themselves during proclaimation. I like what Barth says about preparing the INTRODUCTION. To summarize his book, I would say that it brings relief to anyone who wonders why do we have to work so hard on preparing messages. He teaches the reader that we don't have to follow all homiletical rules to the letter. His unique views challenge many. Sadly, we live in an age where these views would seem unconventional in the realm of homiletians and their offsprings. While I agree with some of the ideas, I disagree with some other idea. This is precisely why this book is a must read. It challenges us who do homiletics.
Find Related Products▼▲
- Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Modern Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Practical Theology >> Preaching
- Books >> Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry >> Preaching >> Classic Preaching Resources >> 20th Century
- Books >> Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry >> Preaching >> Sermon Preparation >> Introductions
- Books >> Closeouts
- Books >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Modern Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Practical Theology >> Preaching
- Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry >> Preaching >> Classic Preaching Resources >> 20th Century
- Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry >> Preaching >> Sermon Preparation >> Introductions
- Closeouts >> Academic
- Closeouts >> Books
- Closeouts >> Church & Pastoral