Add To Cart
|Title: God's Hand on America: Divine Providence in the Modern Era|
By: Michael Medved
Number of Pages: 400
Vendor: Crown Forum
Publication Date: 2017
|Dimensions: 9.3 X 6 (inches)|
Weight: 1 pound 11 ounces
Series: American Miracle
Stock No: WW497413
"A hopeful message for our troubled times . . . Michael Medved has an eye for a story, and a preternatural gift for telling it in beguiling ways."Joseph J. Ellis, Pulitzer Prize and National Book Awardwinning author of Founding Brothers
Has God withdrawn his special blessing from the United States? Americans ponder that painful question in troubled times, as we did during the devastation of the Civil War and after the assassinations of the 60s, and as we do in our present polarization. Yet somehowon battlefields, across western wilderness, and in raucous convention hallsastounding events have reliably advanced America, restoring faith in the Republics providential protection.
In this provocative historical narrative, Michael Medved brings to life ten haunting tales that reveal this purposeful pattern, including:
• A near-fatal carriage accident forces Lincolns secretary of state into a canvas-and-steel neck brace that protects him from a would-be assassins knife thrusts, allowing him two years later to acquire Alaska for the United States.
• A sudden tidal wave of Russian Jewish immigration, be­ginning in 1881, coincides with Americas rise to world leadership, fulfilling a biblical promise that those bless­ing Abrahams children will themselves be blessed.
• Campaigning for president, Theodore Roosevelt takes a bullet in the chest, but a folded speech in his jacket pocket slows its progress and saves his life.
• At the Battle of Midway, U.S. planes get lost over empty ocean and then miraculously reconnect for five minutes of dive-bombing that wrecks Japans fleet, convincing even enemy commanders that higher powers intervened against them.
• A behind-the-scenes "conspiracy of the pure of heart" by Democratic leaders forces a gravely ill FDR to replace his sitting vice presidentan unstable Stalinistwith future White House great Harry Truman.
These and other little-known stories build on themes of The American Miracle, Medveds bestseller about Americas remarkable rise. The confident heroes and stubborn misfits in these pages shared a common faith in a master plan, which continues to unfold in our time. Gods Hand on America con­firms that the founders were right about Americas destiny to lead and enlighten the world.
"I believe in God. Until reading Gods Hand on America, however, I was agnostic as to Gods role in American history. That I am no longer in doubt about Gods hand on America is proof of how persuasive this book is. And, as a bonus, you get to learn history from one of the greatest living American historians."Dennis Prager, founder of Prager University and author of the bestselling Bible commentary The Rational Bible
"Riveting, superbly written, wonderfully researched, and compellingly argued. Many an avowed secularist will pause in his or her tracks upon reading Gods Hand on America and say to themselves: I hadnt considered that!"Hugh Hewitt, NBC political analyst and Chapman University School of Law professor
"Michael Medved is one of the nations greatest historical thinkers, and Gods Hand on America isnt just inspiring; it reignites faith in God and the country upon which He has so richly dispensed his blessings."Ben Shapiro, nationally syndicated talk-radio host on The Daily Wire
"An eye-opening, moving, and vitally necessary book."John Podhoretz, editor of Commentary and MSNBC contributor
"This compulsively readable account of modern American history reveals in exquisite detail those perilous moments when all could have been lost, but dare I say miraculously, wasnt. History, wisdom, and education are never so enjoyably acquired as when Michael Medved is the author."Rabbi Joseph Telushkin, New York Times bestselling author of Jewish Literacy
"Michael Medved has an eye for a story and a preternatural gift for telling it in beguiling ways. The stories here involve fateful moments in American history that happen for reasons that defy reason itself. Whether you call the cause providence, destiny, the gods, or God is less important than witnessing American history survivea hopeful message for our troubled times."Joseph Ellis, Pulitzer Prize winner for history, National Book Award winner, and author of Founding Brothers
Ask a Question▼▲
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.