- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Moody Publishers
Publication Date: 2010
Young people arent walking away from the churchtheyre sprinting. According to a recent study by Ranier Research, 70 percent of youth leave church by the time they are 22 years old. Barna Group estimates that 80 percent of those reared in the church will be "disengaged" by the time they are 29 years old. Unlike earlier generations of church dropouts, these "leavers" are unlikely to seek out alternative forms of Christian community such as home churches and small groups. When they leave church, many leave the faith as well.
Drawing on recent research and in-depth interviews with young leavers, Generation Ex-Christian will shine a light on this crisis and propose effective responses that go beyond slick services or edgy outreach. But it wont be easy. Christianity is regarded with suspicion by the younger generation. Those who leave the faith are often downright cynical. To make matters worse, parents generally react poorly when their children go astray. Many sink into a defensive crouch or go on the attack, delivering homespun fire-and-brimstone sermons that further distance their grown children. Others give up completely or take up the spiritual-sounding "all we can do is pray" mantra without truly exploring creative ways to engage their children on matters of faith. Some turn to their churches for help, only to find that they frequently lack adequate resources to guide them. This is where Generation Ex-Christian will lend a hand. It will equip and inspire parents, church leaders, and everyday Christians to reawaken the prodigal's desire for God and set him or her back on the road to a dynamic faith. The heart of the book will be the raw profiles of real-world, young ex-Christians. No two leavers are identical, but upon close observation some categories emerge. The book will identify seven different kinds of leavers (the postmodern skeptic, the drifter, the neopagan, etc.) and offer practical advice for how to connect with each type. Shrewd tips will also intersperse the chapters alerting readers to opportunities for engagement, and to hidden landmines they must sidestep to effectively reach leavers.
StudentWordSycamore, ILAge: 55-65Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5Excellent!October 20, 2011StudentWordSycamore, ILAge: 55-65Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5If you know any young person who has walked away from the faith, this book will give you insight into what motivated that departure. It will also give you tools to begin a conversation with that person in a way that may just woo them back.
PACATEXTexasAge: 45-54Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5INSIGHTFULJuly 20, 2011PACATEXTexasAge: 45-54Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I found it very helpful to hear the stories of young people raised in the church who have left their faith for various reasons. It helped me understand my own grown children's issues with the church in more depth. I agree that the church has caused a lot of these problems with entertaining kids and trying to bring them into the church en masse, filling them with very little substance and watered down Gospel. The young adults that I have been exposed to through my grown children do have many of the same issues as those mentioned in the book. Hopefully I can use the ideas presented to help them return to a stronger faith in Jesus. I can see that they want a cause to fight for and want to contribute to the world in a way that means something to them.
Find Related Products▼▲
- Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Church Growth >> Evangelism
- Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Church Growth >> Vision
- Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Leadership Development
- Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Outreach >> Evangelism
- Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry >> Pastoral Resources
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry
- Download >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Church Growth >> Evangelism
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Church Growth >> Vision
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Leadership Development
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Outreach >> Evangelism
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Church Leadership >> Pastoral Resources
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Pastoral Ministry
- eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism >> Generation X