Add To Cart
Foxe's Book of Martyrs (SPIRE)
BROWSE for Biographies
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
With millions of copies in print, Foxe's Book ofMartyrs has become a classic of magnificent courage and faith. This unparalleled volume chronicles the tragic yet triumphant stories of men and women who faced torture and martyrdom rather than deny their vision of truth and of God. Beginning with Jesus Christ, this exceptional historical record traces the roots of religious persecution through the sixteenth century. It examines the heroic lives of great men and women such as John Hus, John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Anne Askew, Lady Jane Grey, and Martin Luther. John Foxe also knew persecution. Forced to flee from his native England to Europe during Queen Mary's severe persecution of those holding Reformed views, he carefully compiled records of martyred Christians. His writings possess a sense of immediacy and insight into suffering that few "objective" church historians can match. This edition has been streamlined and reorganized by W. Grinton Berry to present work in today's language.
Number of Pages: 416
Publication Date: 2002
|Dimensions: 7 X 4.25 X 1.25 (inches)|
Ask a Question▼▲
Q: Book of Martyrs Is this Book of Martyrs, the old one that gives the horrible way the Christians of old suffered for their faith?
Yes, this is an updated edition of that book featuring modern English.
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> General Church History Studies >> Church History Classics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Persecution & Martyrdom
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Biography >> Biographical Portraits
- Last Minute Christmas >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic
- Last Minute Christmas >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction