This caring and knowledgeable guide can
help you feel better--starting now
Fibromyalgia causes muscle stiffness and pain, debilitatingfatigue, and numerous other symptoms. Most frustrating of all,people with fibromyalgia syndrome don't look sick; standard testsfor injury or chemical imbalances often show nothing wrong. But ifyou suffer from fibromyalgia, you know that your disease is real,and so is your pain. It's natural to feel discouraged--but don'tgive up! In Fibromyalgia: Simple Relief through Movement, Stacie L.Bigelow--a motivational health counselor and FMS suffererherself--gives hope to everyone with fibromyalgia with a simpleprogram designed to help you benefit from the one thing that isknown to help: movement.
"The most important key to managing muscles affected byfibromyalgia," writes Bigelow, "is to keep them moving." Drawing onnew medical understanding of fibromyalgia as well as her patients'and her own experiences, she explains what the disease is and howto implement an effective plan. She shows you:
* Why traditional exercise programs are not for you
* Which activities will reduce your pain--and which might increaseit
* How to balance your daily needs for healing rest andmovement
* How (and whether) to use muscle conditioning to decreasepain
* How to stretch properly to reduce pain
* How to communicate your needs to family members, coworkers, andhealth care providers
Presenting clear and specific advice on how to use movement safelyand effectively to ease the pain of fibromyalgia, this caring,knowledgeable guide will give you an optimistic new mind-set aboutyour pain, your body, and your future.