- Books of the Bible▼▲
- Group or Individual Study▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Number of Lessons▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Abingdon Press
Publication Date: 2016
The next most important document that Wesley delivered to the rapidly expanding societies and congregations was The Wesley Covenant Prayer and Renewal Service from 1755, which are crucial to Methodist identity. This service, a liturgical event in 1755, was preceded by several mornings of teaching from John Wesley about "the means of increasing serious religion." Charles Wesley also wrote a hymn supporting the prayer "Come, Let Us Use the Grace Divine."
Over the millennia since 1755, many Methodists have used this liturgy on New Years Eve the Watch Night Service as a service of renewal of the individuals covenant with God for the coming year. More recently many churches have found other opportunities to provide this opportunity for the congregation.
Wesleys covenant renewal can function now as an accessible church-wide campaign that culminates in the liturgical affirmation and faithful promise to love God and neighbor faithfully. The campaign could be:
1) Used during Advent and culminate on New Years Eve with the Covenant prayer committed to memory and resolve.
2) Used from mid-September, with emphasis on homecoming and harvest, and culminated with the liturgical event on All Saints Day.
3) Used prior to Lent and culminate on Ash Wednesday, or
4) Used during Lent and culminate on during holy week (read prior to the passion of Jesus).
Magrey R. deVega is the Senior Pastor at Hyde Park United Methodist Church in Tampa, Florida. He is the author of several books, including Embracing the Uncertain: A Lenten Study for Unsteady Times, Embracing the Uncertain: 40 Devotions for Unsteady Times, One Faithful Promise: The Wesleyan Covenant for Renewal, and Songs for the Waiting. Magrey is also the Leadership Editor for the Covenant Bible Study by Abingdon Press, overseeing the weekly small group classroom experience. He is a graduate of United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, and Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida, and the father of two daughters, Grace and Madelyn.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Download >> eBooks
- Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Study Guides >> Seasonal Studies >> Lent
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Seasonal Studies
- Christmas >> Advent >> Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Christmas >> Advent >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks
- Christmas >> Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Download
- Christmas >> Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Study Guides
- Christmas >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Christmas >> Download >> Advent
- Christmas >> Download >> Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Christmas >> Download >> Books, eBooks & Audio
- Download >> eBooks >> Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Seasonal Studies