Add To Cart
The Faith of the Early Fathers, Volume 3
Add To Cart
BROWSE for Church History
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
This product is not available for expedited shipping.
* This product is available for shipment only to the USA.
The passages selected are keyed to the numerical order established in M. J. Rouet de Journel's Enchiridion Patristicum. In no sense, however, are these volumes a translation of that standard work. The author has made his own investigation of theological textbooks in common use and has selected the patristic passages most frequently cited, including much that is in Rouet and much that is not. All passages have been freshly and accurately translated from the best critical editions. Preceding each selection is a brief introduction treating the authorship, date and place of composition, and the purpose of the work from which the selection is taken. The author's scholarship and sprightly sense of humor are evident in these prefatory remarks. Of immence value to the reader is the Doctrinal Index provided for each volume. Here one can find the texts pertinent to particular doctrinal points, a method especially useful to homilists.
Vendor: Liturgical Press
Publication Date: 1998
Taken together, these three volumes represent a basic English-language reference book of patristic works. Volume 3 ends with St. John of Damascene (d. 749).
. . . a unique three-year study . . . of such depth and breadth that it raises serious questions about how all U.S. Christians interpret and practice their faith.
Kenneth L. Woodward, Newsweek
Be the first to write a review!
Find Related Products▼▲
- Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Academic >> Church History >> Post-Apostolic & Patristic Studies
- Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Patristic Theology
- Books >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books >> Church History >> Post-Apostolic & Patristic Studies
- Books >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Patristic Theology