- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- US States▼▲
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
|Format: PDF Download|
Vendor: Master Books
Publication Date: 2004
Numbers surround us. Just try to make it through a day without using any. It's impossible: telephone numbers, calendars, volume settings, shoe sizes, speed limits, weights, street numbers, microwave timers, TV channels, and the list goes on and on. The many advancements and branches of mathematics were developed through the centuries as people encountered problems and relied upon math to solve them. For instance:
- What timely invention was tampered with by the Caesars and almost perfected by a pope?
- Why did ten days vanish in September of 1752?
- How did Queen Victoria shorten the Sunday sermons at chapel?
- What important invention caused the world to be divided into time zones?
- What simple math problem caused the Mars Climate Orbiter to burn up in the Martian atmosphere?
- What common unit of measurement was originally based on the distance from the equator to the North Pole?
- Does water always boil at 212? Fahrenheit?
- What do Da Vinci's Last Supper and the Parthenon have in common?
- Why is a computer glitch called a "bug"?
It's amazing how ten simple digits can be used in an endless number of ways to benefit man. The development of these ten digits and their many uses is the fascinating story you hold in your hands: Exploring the World of Mathematics.
John Hudson Tiner received five National Science Foundation teaching fellowships during his 12 years as a teacher of mathematics and science that allowed him to study graduate chemistry, astronomy, and mathematics. He also worked as a mathematician and cartographer for the Defense Mapping Agency, Aerospace Center in St. Louis, MO.
Tiner has received numerous honors for his writing, including the Missouri Writers Guild award for best juvenile book for Exploring the World of Chemistry. He and his wife, Jeanene, live in Missouri.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Math
- Download >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Type
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> History >> History Subjects >> World History
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> Math >> Math Subjects >> Algebra 1 & 2
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> Math >> Math Subjects >> Geometry
- Homeschool >> Type >> Download
We offer thousands of quality curricula, workbooks, and references to meet your homeschooling needs. To assist you in your choices, we have included the following symbol next to those materials that specifically reflect a Christian worldview.
If you have any questions about specific products, our knowledgeable Homeschool Specialists will be glad to help you. Just call us at 1-800-CHRISTIAN.