Exploring Creation with General Science Full CDROM, 2nd Ed, V 9.0Apologia Educational Ministries / 2008 / Compact disc$53.89 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 12 Reviews
$65.00Save 17% ($11.11)Availability: In StockStock No: WW238410
of customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Cheryl FloodIllinoisAge: 45-54Gender: female2 Stars Out Of 5A few things to consider before using a CD-RomOctober 18, 2013Cheryl FloodIllinoisAge: 45-54Gender: femaleThis review is more for the CD-ROM, not so much for the course. Some things to consider before going the CD-ROM route in lieu of the text book:
1. Will you use this on a desk top or lap top? If using on a desk top consider that most experiments will be done in the kitchen. The instructions for the experiment will be on your computer (where ever that may be located) while your student is trying to do the experiment in the kitchen. If you have a lap top, it will be much easier.
2. When working on the accompanying (optional) student notebook, there is no book to flip back and forth through to review and find answers or studying for tests. Your student will boot up the computer so s/he can flip back and forth through screens instead. As a matter of fact, any time they need to access the material in this course (to correct their work, reference, etc.), they will need to turn on the computer, put in the disk, and run the program....no just grabbing the book and flipping it open.
3. In the text, as well as the accompanying notebook, there are "On You Own" questions to answer. I have my son answer them in the notebook. They're on the CD-ROM on a screen of their own, and if the student clicks on the "next screen" button, the answer pops up.
4. The tests and answers are on a separate CD. I love technology, but I hate having to put a CD into the computer to print tests or to get the answers to grade tests. Give me a hard copy teacher's manual and test booklet any day!
5. Lesson planning is a bit difficult. Again, there is no text to sift through - you will have to load the course on the computer to do your lesson planning (or find lesson plans elsewhere.) My student needs to know exactly what to do and what is expected of him every day. I can't say, "You have 8 school days to complete module 2." I wish!
6. If you have a highly motivated, accurate, independent learner, a CD-ROM will likely work great IF it's being used on a lap top. If your child is lacking any of those qualities, I don't recommend a CD-ROM. You as a parent have to work a lot closer with this kind of student (as I'm sure you know) and that's more difficult to do if using a CD-ROM (especially if it's not being used on a lap top.) This was something I hadn't considered fully before allowing my 12yo the decision on using a CD-ROM.
curleejoAge: 35-44Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5My kids LOVE it!September 7, 2012curleejoAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5It seems to have everything that the books and CDs have, but it's all in one place and very user friendly. And most importantly, my kids are loving it and learning a lot!
Momof4San Diego, CAAge: 35-44Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5Quality time saverOctober 21, 2011Momof4San Diego, CAAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This product is awsome. I bought this for my 7th grader this year. I love that she can put on the CD. Read the text and take notes. Set up the experiments herself with household items and then teach my younger kids about the experiment and what she learnend. IT is a time saver for me so I can homeschool the other kids and still have her get a quality science lesson with a Christian perspective.
catwomanWaynesville, NCAge: 35-44Gender: female3 Stars Out Of 5Could have been easier vocabularyOctober 21, 2011catwomanWaynesville, NCAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 4Meets Expectations: 2We are using the CD Rom for our to junior high kids.
I like it, except the vocabulary used is hard to follow or read.
Reads like an adult encyclopedia, not a conversational narrative.
Other than that, it is good.
dbgouldMilaca, MNAge: 35-44Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5September 23, 2011dbgouldMilaca, MNAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This product is amazing!! My daughter has changed her favorite subject to science now. I love this curriculum because of creation-based approach and my daughter loves it because she thinks she is having fun instead of learning!