- Media Type▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: 2017
The modern apologetics classic that started it all is now completely revised and updatedbecause the truth of the Bible doesnt change, but its critics do. With the original Evidence That Demands a Verdict, bestselling author Josh McDowell gave Christian readers the answers they needed to defend their faith against the harshest critics and skeptics. Since that time, Evidence has remained a trusted resource for believers young and old. Bringing historical documentation and the best modern scholarship to bear on the trustworthiness of the Bible and its teachings, this extensive volume has encouraged and strengthened millions. Now, with his son Sean McDowell, Josh McDowell has updated and expanded this classic resource for a new generation. This is a book that invites readers to bring their doubts and doesnt shy away from the tough questions.
• Thoroughly revised and updated from the previous edition
• Now co-authored by Josh McDowell and Sean McDowell
• All-new chapters defending against the latest attacks from Christianitys critics
• Designed to be a go-to reference for even the toughest questions
• Offers thoughtful responses to the Bibles most difficult and extraordinary passages
• Expansive defense of Christianitys core truths, including the resurrection of Jesus Christ
As a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He truly believed that Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, Josh discovered compelling and overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. After trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, Joshs life changed dramatically as he experienced the power of Gods love. After his conversion, Josh committed his life to telling a doubting world about the truth of Jesus Christ. After studying at Kellogg College, Josh completed his college degree at Wheaton College and then attended Talbot Theological Seminary, graduating magna cum laude with a Masters of Divinity. Working with Campus Crusade for Christ and founding the youth outreach, Josh McDowell Ministry, Josh has shared the gospel with more than 25 million people in 125 countries. He is the author or co-authored of 147 books.
Dr. Sean McDowell is a gifted communicator with a passion for equipping the church, especially young people, to make the case for the Christian faith. He connects with audiences through humor and stories while imparting hard evidence and logical support of a biblical worldview. Sean is an assistant professor in Biola Universitys Christian Apologetics program and the resident scholar for Summit California. A regular speaker for organizations like Focus on the Family, the Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview, and Youth Specialties, among others, Sean is the author, co-author, or editor of over eighteen books and is a frequent guest on radio shows like Family Life Today and Point of View.
thetheologianTexasAge: 25-34Gender: Male3 Stars Out Of 5Evangelical ApologeticsOctober 28, 2015thetheologianTexasAge: 25-34Gender: MaleQuality: 4Value: 5Meets Expectations: 3This was a required text for a course I took. I was underwhelmed at the content of the work. This is standard evangelical apologetics in a somewhat eccentric outline format not unlike the old Bible handbooks. By evangelical apologetics, I mean largely presuppositional arguments. And I'm sorry, but I can't take seriously an apologist that goes to such lengths to disparage the 73 book Biblical canon.
johngracemark5 Stars Out Of 5Really making sense of the BibleFebruary 25, 2015johngracemarkQuality: 4Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4It's true - one convinced against their will is of their own opinion still. Apologetics don't save, though an earnest seeker for a basis for faith will find most of what they need here. Remember, faith without a trustworthy object is dead, and McDowell and his teams have combed thousands of ancient sources to provide ample - well, the title says it all. No one can make you believe, but the Way of the Lord Jesus Christ is not make-believe -- it's the best documented story in all history. Followers of the Way, you need this book to be prepared to give a ready defense for the hope that is in you.
David5 Stars Out Of 5Why outline is better.November 9, 2014DavidQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Many people object to the outline format this book follows. I prefer it for two reasons.
1. It makes locating specific information far easier. When certain objections arise and I have to go home to find answers I don't want to wade through pages to find a relevant paragraph, but having everything in outline form allows me to quickly find a specific section that matters.
2. It makes it so only the facts make it into the book. Often, with other books like the case for christ, what you end up getting is a lot of story, to make reading it more interesting. Even my college textbooks are mostly story, because the format requires it. But an outline format allows the author to just give you the blunt facts, which means you get even more facts per page than you would otherwise.
Ultimately what are we looking for in a book like this? If we want an entertaining story then this book is not what we want. But if we want detailed arguments as to why we can trust scripture, then this is the best book on that subject I have come across. Since buying it it has always remained on my frequently used shelf, which can't be said for any other book on that shelf.
RICHARD HOLTClovis, NMAge: 45-54Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5One of the BestAugust 2, 2014RICHARD HOLTClovis, NMAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Before reading this text, I had heard Josh McDowell speak on several occasions, and held him in high regard, as a sincere and effective communicator. The "New Evidence that Demands a Verdict," shows he is also a good researcher. My primary interest in this book was the section called, "The Case for the Bible." That section was extremely detailed and helpful. The other sections are very good as well. Some may not like the writing style at first (this book originated as lecture notes). However, once I got used to the format, I found it to be strength of the work. It makes it easier to locate specific pieces of evidence quickly. It also results in a less wordy text as it does away with the need for hundreds of transitional sentences. He shows his integrity in that he gives credit to others, where credit is due. This is something that is lacking in the works of some other authors I've read lately. He also writes with a high degree of accuracy. I did some research of my own, and found that he consistently presents the facts in a trustworthy manner. The only error I found was a minor error within source he used. But he accurately reported what the source said. I highly recommend this work!
Jim STucson, AZAge: 55-65Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5If if it's not in here you don't need it :-)September 19, 2012Jim STucson, AZAge: 55-65Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I picked up this updated version in hardback, having used Josh's previous versions in paperback. It's well updated and much more user friendly than his first publication. If you were going to get only a few books in the area of apologetics, this would have to be at the top of the list. Josh is considered one of the foremost writers and speakers in the area of apologetics for the last 40 years. His research is impeccable. I have learned much from him.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Apologetics >> Reference
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Church & Pastoral >> Evangelism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Apologetics >> Reference
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Apologetics >> Reference
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral