Add To Cart
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
- Big Summer Blowout
- Buy in Bulk
Number of Pages: 112
Vendor: Rose Publishing
Publication Date: 2017
|Dimensions: 7.00 X 5.00 X 0.25 (inches)|
Series: Aspire Books
From the signs and solutions of depression to feelings of shame and guilt, Dr. Gary Lovejoy has boiled it all down to 8 trusted, Bible-based solutions that every man should know about depression, all of which are simply and clearly laid out in this resourceful quick-guide. Equip yourself with tools and solutions straight out of the Bible and designed just for men to recover and relieve the pressures at home and work. Start begin enjoying the blessings of life once again!
"The first thing every man should know: Depression is an alarm signal to tell you that certain issues need attention so that they won't keep damaging you." God designed men with these specific alerts and warnings, but did you know He also has unique solutions and promises to help us redeem our lives to His good and perfect will?
Your job is taking a toll on your health and the things you once enjoyed are just a chore on your list now. But you are not alone. Between the stress of work, requirements of family life, and the crushing feelings of inadequacy, the slow wear and tear makes depression difficult to detect, let alone seek help for it. 8 Things Every Man Should Know About Depression equips you with practical, Bible-based tools to help you:
- Get refreshed with relevant and non-preachy advice and Scripture
- Identify and take control back from the negative thoughts & feelings that run your life
- Overcome crushing shame and false guilt with biblical principles to seek effective help & treatment
- Reverse the damaging behaviors and patterns that hurt your relationships and career
112 pages. 5" x 7" x 0.25" Paperback.
Does Depression Affect Men Differently?
From biology and hormone levels to emotions and means of expression, God created men and women uniquely. So it would follow that the depression affects men and women differently...
Men Are More Likely To:
- Accuse others, feel angry, and display agitated behavior
- Hide their depression behind withdrawal or a façade of bluster
- Cope through substance abuse, TV, sports obsessions, or extramarital affairs
- and more
Women Are More Likely To:
- Show lots of guilt, feel worthless and overwhelmingly sad, and cry frequently
- Openly express their despair and hopelessness
- Cope by poring themselves into friends, food, or romantic books & films
- and more
Instead of grouping men and women together, Dr. Gary Lovejoy addresses the unique needs, concerns, emotions, and questions men often desire to know when struggling with depression in this Scripture-based 112-page book. Dr. Gary Lovejoy shows men how to avoid common roadblocks to recovery and explains the characteristics, causes, and symptoms of depression in an easy-to-understand way, resourcing the Bible, over 30 years of counseling experience, and proven strategies.
4 Key Features of this Depression Help Book for Men
From bursts of rage to withdrawn silence, there are a number of patterns and signs that one's health may be at risk. Whether you think you or a loved one is experiencing major depression or early signs of depression, the simple explanations and practical steps in 8 Things Every Man Should Know About Depression will set you on God's path to the freedom God intended.
- Relevant. Includes relatable stories about individuals who have suffered from depression
- Practical. Explains the characteristics, causes, and symptoms of depression in an easy-to-understand format
- Quick Reference. See key information at a glance with charts, graphics, checklists and Bible verses to encourage
- Trustworthy. For decades, Dr. Lovejoy has been a counselor for Ministry Leaders, couples, and individuals. His time-tested practice in applying God's Word to help others manage depression has changed countless lives.
In just 8 chapters, discover the keys and insights to help overcome the common barriers men face in depression recovery.
Discover 12 Signs of Depression in Men
From overwhelming feelings of emptiness and hopelessness to fatigue and loss of interest, the signs of depression vary broadly, manifesting in a wide range of symptoms. Here are just some of the signs that you or your loved one may be experiencing a form of depression:
- Feelings of worthlessness and self-hatred, anxiety and agitation
- Loss of appetite, or out-of-control eating
- Overwhelming feelings of emptiness and hopelessness, loss of interest in almost all activities & hobbies
- Increased impatience, anger, irritation, and/or frustration
- Thoughts of suicide and fantasies of death
- and more
If you are suffering from depression, or know someone who is, this book will help you discover God's purposes for depression, and his wisdom to address it. Experience the peace that comes from realizing that you are not alone and can find hope from God's Word with Dr. Lovejoy's 8 Things Every Man Should Know About Depression.
The 8 Things Every Man Should Know About Depression chapters include:
Part 1: Purpose, Patterns, and Preconceptions of Depression
- The Meaning of Depression
- The Different Faces of Depression
- When Men Think Depression Is Unmanly
Part 2: The Surprises of Depression
- When Depression Accompanies Medical Conditions
- Prescriptions as Double-Edged Swords (Physical and Mental Health)
Part 3: Ideas and Behaviors That Hurt
- Exposing the Spiritual Stereotypes
- Seeking Help or Saving Face?
Part 4: The Therapy and Theology of Hope
- Changing the Narrative About Change
8 Things Every Man Should Know About Depression is perfect for:
- Small group & Bible study
- Adult Sunday school
- Lay counseling & chaplains
- Men's ministry
- Church giveaways
- and much more!
About the Author
Gary H. Lovejoy, M.A., MRE, Ph.D., served as a professor of psychology and religion at Mt. Hood Community College for 32 years and has had a private practice in professional counseling for more than 38 years. He is the founder and current principal therapist of Valley View Counseling Services in Portland, Oregon. In addition to earning his doctorate in psychology from United States International University, Dr. Lovejoy also earned a master's degree in religious education from Fuller Theological Seminary.