Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 496
Publication Date: 2008
|Dimensions: 8.00 X 5.31 (inches)|
One True God: Historical Consequences of MonotheismRodney StarkPrinceton University Press / 2001 / Trade Paperback$46.25
The Rise of Christianity: A Sociologist Reconsiders ReligionRodney StarkCalif Princeton Fulfilment / 1996 / Hardcover$98.13
The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western SuccessRodney StarkRandom House / 2006 / Trade Paperback$9.49 Retail:
$17.00Save 44% ($7.51)
Winner of the 2008 Christianity Today Award of Merit in Theology/Ethics
The History of God
In Discovering God, award-winning sociologist Rodney Stark presents a monumental history of the origins of the great religions from the Stone Age to the Modern Age and wrestles with the central questions of religion and belief.
Rodney Stark is the Distinguished Professor of the Social Sciences at Baylor University. His thirty books on the history and sociology of religion include The Rise of Christianity, Cities of God, For the Glory of God, Discovering God, and The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success. Stark received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Despite decades of faulty reports that early religions were crude muddles of superstition, it turns out that primitive humans had surprisingly sophisticated notions about God and Creation.
- The idea of "sin" appeared suddenly in the sixth century BCE and quickly reshaped religious ideas from Europe to China.
- Some major world religions seem to lack any plausible traces of divine inspiration.
- Ironically, some famous figures who attempted to found "Godless" religions ended up being worshiped as Gods.
“[A] wide-ranging investigation...serious students of religion will recognize this as an essential sourcebook.”
Patricia Chadwick5 Stars Out Of 5April 10, 2008Patricia ChadwickThis is a good book that tracks the belief of God from the Stone Age to the present. The author seeks to answer the following question: Is God real or did man invent Him? Discovering God is loaded with information on Christianity as well as other religions and their beginnings. The author is well informed and educated, yet he writes in an easy-reading style as he presents evidence to support his position. What is his position? Read the book and find out!
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Culture
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of God
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of Revelation
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> History >> World History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Religion