- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Cyber Deals
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
Pull everything you can out of the classics!
Leland Ryken provides a clear pathway to understanding the "Great Works" through this engaging series of short guidebooks. Evaluating the included selection of poetry from a distinctly Christian perspective, this guide to the devotional poetry of Donne, Herbert, and Milton includes commentary on the work, including Scriptural allusions, and provides prompts for reflection and discussion.
As devotional poetry is a different format than a single work, this Christian Guide to the Classics format differs slightly from other books in the series. In this guide:
- The poems themselves are included, making this a selective anthology
- Instead of a "plot summary," each poem is preceded by a section of tips for reading, such a summary of content and structure
- A partial explication of the poetic texture follow each poem
- Marginal notes only define difficult or archaic words that appear in a poem
- Discussion questions are included
- In lieu of an author and "fact sheet" this guide provides introductory pages for each poet at the beginning of their section.
- Resources for further study are included
95 pages, softcover. High School-Adult.
Number of Pages: 96
Publication Date: 2014
|Dimensions: 8.50 X 5.25 (inches)|
Series: Christian Guides to the Classics
The Bible: The Story of the King James Version, 1611-2011Gordon CampbellOxford University Press / 2010 / Hardcover$16.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 2 Reviews
$24.95Save 32% ($7.96)
A literary expert guides readers through the devotional poetry of three seventeenth-century poetic geniuses: John Donne, George Herbert, and John Milton. Part of the Christian Guides to the Classics series.
Leland Ryken (PhD, University of Oregon) served as professor of English at Wheaton College for nearly 50 years. He has authored or edited over fifty books, including The Word of God in English and A Complete Handbook of Literary Forms in the Bible. He is a frequent speaker at the Evangelical Theological Society's annual meetings and served as literary stylist for the English Standard Version Bible.